Winter warning for commuters
Commuters have been advised to prepare for snowy conditions today.
Northumbria Police is warning drivers to take extra care during the icy conditions, particularly on untreated minor roads.
Chief Superintendent Gary Calvert said: “There remains widespread icy conditions and freezing temperatures, and as such drivers are advised to take care on the roads.
“Adverse weather has been forecast for later today. As such, people should ensure they take precautions, only go out if it’s necessary, and if they do need to go out to make sure they wrap up warm and drive carefully.
“We continue to monitor weather forecasts and conditions across the force and have officers out and about on the roads and in our communities.”
• Moderate speed to match the conditions and try not to brake sharply, using gears to decelerate.
• Maintain a safe distance from the vehicle in front.
• Be alert to pedestrians walking on roads when footpaths are too icy to use.
• Ensure you have adequate visibility by clearing windscreens and windows.
• Keep windscreen washer bottles topped up with winter screen wash.
• Clean front and rear headlights before driving and use dipped headlights in poor visibility.
• Carry an ice scraper, de-icer, a torch, warm clothes or a blanket, a flask of hot water, boots, a first aid kit, shovel, jump leads and a tow rope.
For the latest information from Northumbria Police visit www.northumbria.police.uk
Northern Rail is advising passengers to check the latest information before they travel this evening.
The company anticipates running a normal service throughout the day, but there is the possibility of disruption.
Passengers are also advised to wear warm clothing and suitable footwear and carry a fully charged mobile phone.
Keep up to date at www.journeycheck.com/northernrail or follow the Twitter feed @northernrailorg
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Morpeth
Tuesday 21 May 2013
Temperature: 7 C to 13 C
Wind Speed: 12 mph
Wind direction: North east
Temperature: 4 C to 13 C
Wind Speed: 18 mph
Wind direction: North west