A GOLDEN anniversary featured in a recent Images of Yesteryear picture.
This photograph from 1987, showing the 50th anniversary celebration of Morpeth Gas Showroom, was re-published in the Herald on September 20 this year.
The showroom was based in the premises now occupied by the Herald at 17 Newgate Street.
Former manager of the shop, Ann McDonald, of High Stanners, has been in touch to tell us all about it.
“When they bought the shop in 1936 it was the Morpeth Gas and Light Company, which had the gas works in Gas House Lane. They had a small room where people went to look if they wanted to buy a cooker and then the owners decided to buy the pub in Newgate Street. Obviously it had to be converted and in 1937 the work was completed.
“The first manager, Mr Winter, who was invited to the anniversary and is in the photograph, came from Hartlepool.
“The 50th anniversary was a good day. People who had worked for the company were invited and the managers came from Alnwick, Berwick and Blyth. It was quite a celebration and we all went for lunch at The Queen’s Head.
“It brought back a lot of memories and it was good to see old workers again.
“We had lots of good times in that building and there are a lot of happy memories.”
The people pictured are Mrs Rosemary Reed (left), Mrs Ena Winter (right) and Mr Richard Winter, the first manager and Mrs Winter’s father-in-law.
The showroom closed in 1993.