An anxious cat owner, whose pet was attacked with an airgun, has urged others to be on their guard.
Charli Reah was shocked to find that her four-year-old cat Sushi had been fired on with BB gun pellets as it roamed near their Stobhill home.
The cat, whom she has had since it was a kitten, escaped serious injury, but Mrs Reah fears others may not be so lucky and wants to warn fellow pet owners of the danger.
She said: “I’ve never heard of anything like this happening in our area before, which is why it was so shocking. I have never seen any cruelty to any of my animals before.
“She is normally such a brave cat, but she was so frightened. It was really upsetting.
“You hear horror stories of cats being attacked, but you never think it will happen to yours. It’s just awful.
“I just want to warn other people to be vigilant when it comes to their animals.”
The incident happened sometime on August 24.
Mrs Reah said: “When she came in, the cat seemed a bit skittish so I picked her up to give her a stroke and these yellow pellets fell from her fur. I had no idea what they were, but my husband knew straight away.
“We gave the cat a good look over and she was whingeing a bit when we pressed on her back. We were advised to keep an eye on her, but it was probably just bruising. We were lucky because I’ve heard of another cat losing an eye.
“It must have happened near our home because she doesn’t go far and we live in a cul-de-sac. The kids round here are great with her and she was never a threatening cat so I don’t know why anyone would harm her. I don’t know whether this was done by kids or an adult. It is certainly more concerning if it was an adult because they would have known exactly what they were doing.
“The frustrating thing is that there’s nothing much we can do. I didn’t let the cat out for a couple of days because I didn’t want to chance it, but you can’t keep her in forever. It is worrying though.”
It is the second such incident reported to the Herald in recent months.
In June, we revealed how heartbroken High House resident Dorothy Moore was forced to have her beloved cat Tino put down after he suffered horrific injuries in an airgun attack.
At first the couple thought their pet had been poisoned, but when they took him to the vet it was discovered that an airgun pellet had entered his stomach and gone through an intestine and kidney, and nothing could be done to save him.
It was the second time the cat had been shot with an air rifle after suffering a broken leg in an attack three years ago. He was also blind in one eye following a mystery blow to the head.
A spokeswoman for the RSPCA said: “Incidents such as these are very distressing for both the cats and the owners involved. There is no excuse for this kind of behaviour.
“While there is little that can be done to protect your pets against such callous attacks, we would urge owners to make sure their pets are micro-chipped and their details are kept up to date. Then, if the worst should happen, you can be contacted easily.”