Pupils’ big adventure

Pegswood First School's temporary stay in the Church Hall after its boiler was condemned.
Pegswood First School's temporary stay in the Church Hall after its boiler was condemned.

There was a bit of an adventure for Pegswood pupils when their lessons were moved out of school.

As previously reported in the Herald, Pegswood First School was forced to take action when a gas leak was discovered and one of its central heating boilers was condemned at the end of November.

Initially, all classes were cancelled, but after two days most pupils were able to return to the school, with lessons taking place in the back of the building where the heating still worked.

However, there was no room there for the nursery children, who had to decamp to the nearby St Margaret’s Church Hall.

Staff made sure all the comforts of their normal classrooms were moved across to help the youngsters feel at home, and as they were reading Kipper’s Birthday Party they organised a celebration of their own.

Headteacher Andrew Waterfield said: “We transferred most of the things from the nursery across to the Hall. The staff took a lot of our equipment to make it as normal for the children and their families as possible. It seems to have gone extremely smoothly.

“The children thought it was a bit of an adventure, and we really appreciate the fact that the people from the Church Hall were extremely accommodating.”

The children have now returned to the school as a temporary boiler has been put in place while work goes on to install a permanent one.