Weeks of disruption after school gas leak

0
Have your say

A village school is facing major disruption after a gas leak was discovered.

Parents were notified on Monday morning that a smell of gas had been detected at Pegswood First School.

The boiler was turned off and the leaks were fixed, but tests found the heating system was unsafe and beyond repair, forcing the school to close on Tuesday and Wednesday.

Classes were due to resume today, using only the back of the building, but accommodation has had to be found in the neighbouring Sure Start Centre and St Margaret’s Church Hall for the 69 reception and nursery children.

Families have been warned the situation could take “weeks rather than days” to resolve.

Headteacher Andrew Waterfield said: “Following the discovery of a gas leak at the mains meter on the edge of the school grounds, one of our gas heating boilers has been affected beyond repair.

“This means there is no heating in one side of the school.

“The safety and comfort of our pupils is of paramount importance and regrettably we took the decision to close the school on Tuesday and Wednesday.

“We have been looking for alternative accommodation for our reception and nursery pupils at the Sure Start Centre and local church hall, and I am confident that the school will be open on Thursday.

“Unfortunately, replacing a boiler is not an overnight job, but we are working with officers at County Hall to find a prompt solution and minimise any disruption.

“I’d like to thank the parents for their patience and understanding, and the local community for its fantastic support.”