Kuma is lucky to be alive after snacking on skewer

PDSA Vet Nurse Rebecca Johnston with Kuma who nearly died after swallowing a barbecue skewer.
PDSA Vet Nurse Rebecca Johnston with Kuma who nearly died after swallowing a barbecue skewer.
0
Have your say

A greedy pup has been brought back from the brink after swallowing a 10cm kebab skewer.

Bull Mastiff-cross Kuma is lucky to be alive after the wooden barbecue utensil punctured his intestine and caused a potentially fatal infection.

I’m just so grateful to the PDSA for everything it has done. The care and attention Kuma received was second to none.

Julie Chamberlain

The seven-month-old Ponteland puppy, who has previously tried to eat his harness and a remote control, was rushed to Gateshead PDSA Pet Hospital by his owner Julie Chamberlain when he went off his food and started being sick.

An ultrasound scan showed unusual fluid in his abdomen, but x-rays could not clear up the cause so exploratory surgery was carried out.

PDSA Veterinary Nurse Rebecca Johnston said: “Everyone was stunned when we found out what was causing the problem.

“Kuma had a large abscess in his abdomen. We then found the culprit – a 10cm wooden kebab skewer. It had clearly been there for a while as it had punctured through his intestine to move into his abdominal cavity.

“This had caused a major infection – Kuma is very lucky to be alive.”

The dog was given round-the-clock intensive care by the charity until he recovered.

But his family had a worrying wait to see if he would pull through.

Ms Chamberlain said: “We thought we would lose him. The kids were devastated and I was heartbroken.

“When the vet said it was a kebab skewer I was totally shocked as I’m incredibly careful with Kuma due to his tendency to eat everything in sight. I have no idea where he got it from.

“I’m just so grateful to the PDSA for everything it has done. The care and attention Kuma received was second to none.”

She is now working with a dog trainer to help with Kuma’s behaviour.

“Kuma is adorable, but it’s like having a naughty toddler,” she said.

“I have to keep my eye on him every hour of every day. He sleeps in my room with the door closed so he doesn’t get into mischief and wears a muzzle outside the house, simply to prevent him eating anything he comes across.”

The PDSA provides more than 2.7 million treatments every year and is entirely funded by public donations.