Lizard bit off more than he could chew

(left to right): Vet Sam Prescott, owner Victoria Ord with Keva, and head nurse Laura Petts.

(left to right): Vet Sam Prescott, owner Victoria Ord with Keva, and head nurse Laura Petts.

0
Have your say

A ravenous reptile bit off more than he could chew when he devoured what he thought was a tasty snack.

Keva, a two-year-old Bosc monitor lizard, was rushed to the vet for an emergency operation after he swallowed a furry toy from a McDonald’s Happy Meal.

The drama happened when his 19-year-old owner Victoria Ord cleaned out his vivarium.

Her Jack Russell, Paddy, was playing with the toy and threw it up in the air, before Keva stretched up and caught it in his jaws, believing it was food. The pet lizard ate it whole, prompting a dash to get him to Robson & Prescott veterinarysurgeons, in Morpeth.

Sam Prescott, who specialises in exotic animals.performed a delicate one­hour operation to remove the toy, which would have killed him had it not been quickly removed.

After a week in hospital, Keva is home and back on his usual diet of scrambled eggs, mince and dead mice.

Sam said: “Bosc monitors have a rapacious appetite and varied diet, so mistaking a small furry toy for a small furry mouse was an easy mistake for Keva to make.

“The soft toy caused an obstruction that would have killed him if not operated on quickly, so it was a life-and-death situation.”

Sam also recently saved Milo, a 10­-month-old Bearded Dragon, who swallowed a toy nerf dart.