A trip to the Palace for club President


Thursday, 29th March 2018, 3:58 pm
Margaret Trewick.

The Countess of Wessex, as Patron of Lions Clubs of the British Isles, held a Royal Reception at Buckingham Palace to celebrate a ‘Century of Service’.

Lions Club of Morpeth President Margaret Trewick joined in the 100th anniversary celebrations with hundreds of volunteers, who came together with the organisation’s partners for this special occasion.

Here, she reports on the experience.

I’d like to say that the day dawned fair, but unfortunately we woke to several inches of snow, blizzard conditions and blocked roads. Trains were cancelled or delayed by hours so it was with a great deal of trepidation that we set off for the Central Station.

After a hair-raising journey, thanks to my friend Dave Walker we did make it in time, only to be told by the Travel Assistance people that there was a three-hour delay. No trains had yet left Newcastle that morning. However, we went over to the platform and sat in the waiting room with at least 100 other people, many of whom had been there for several hours.

At 10.25am the 7.58am train pulled into the station and to my utter surprise, back came my assistance lady. She grabbed me and my case and raced along the platform to where one of the on-board staff was standing guard over an empty seat. All ticket bookings and restrictions had been lifted so it was every man or woman for themselves. I actually left Newcastle on time.

After checking into my hotel and getting changed into my posh frock, I took a taxi to the palace. As I got in the cab, another blizzard started.

Because I had a limited mobility pass to get me into the actual palace courtyards, the poor driver had to put up with a full security check of his cab by armed police — boot and bonnet open and camera underneath. He was soaking by the time they had finished and not very happy. He had thought it was a simple drop-off outside the gates.

To my amazement, we were directed right up to the glass portico and pulled up at the red carpet leading up the steps and into the palace. I felt like the Queen, especially as most of my fellow Lions were trudging through the snow across the two courtyards looking “like the retreat from Moscow”, as the Countess of Wessex described it later that evening.

The sheer beauty of the palace takes your breath away, and the number of footmen and staff around to attend to your every need was amazing.

We were taken in the lift to the Ballroom, which has the most magnificent chandeliers, two thrones and a huge pipe organ. Drinks and nibbles were being served by yet more footmen, and 350 or so Lions were mingling and meeting up with friends from all over the country.

Unfortunately, because of the weather the Queen was not present, but the Countess spoke eloquently about the Lions and their service to the community all over the world.

As she herself is a Lion and has taken part in many fund-raising events, not least a cycle ride from Holyrood to Buckingham Palace, past International Director Phil Nathan presented her with a Melvin Jones Fellowship. She was speechless for a few moments, but then thanked everyone and said that she was honoured to have received it.

She then went walkabout and managed to have a word with most of us, even if it was only “hello, nice to see you”. Her Private Secretary is a young man, 7ft tall, and he walked behind her, towering over everybody, constantly surveying the throng.

At 8pm we were gently ushered towards the exit, but were able to linger in the corridor to admire some of the glorious paintings lining the walls and to take in the lovely surroundings.

Because of my mobility problem, a lovely young Footman named Harry, who was from Morpeth, was tasked with getting a taxi to come from the rank outside to collect me. He sent an even younger, more junior footman out in the blizzard to get the taxi while we chatted about Morpeth and Newcastle.

I was the last person to leave the palace and it felt very surreal to walk down the steps and get into the cab at exactly the same place you see on TV when visiting dignitaries or royal brides arrive.

My cab driver was so chuffed as he had never in his life been beyond the gates. He drove so slowly across the inner courtyard that the security police got a bit impatient and waved him on rather urgently.

The next worry was how was I going to get home? Rumour in the hotel was that no trains were leaving London to go North. That was true as some of our Scottish contingent were stranded, but in the morning I found that trains were travelling as far as Newcastle. Great, except mine was cancelled.

Thank goodness for Travel Assistance. As soon as I reported to the desk, I was whisked across to Platform 1, where there was a train waiting with a vacant seat being kept for me. I actually left half-an-hour earlier than I should have done. Thank you, Virgin Trains Travel Assistance.

Waiting on the station to drive me home were my dear friends Dave and Christine Walker, without whom I would never have been able to get to and from the station.

I would also like to say a huge thank you to my club for giving me this fantastic opportunity. It was a once in a lifetime day and one I will never forget.

In spite of the weather, or maybe because of it, I had a wonderfully adventurous two days.