IT’S last orders this weekend for a Morpeth pub which has been trading for more than 200 years.
The Old Red Bull Inn has been established as a popular public house in the town since 1780 and it has recovered from fire and flooding to remain an important part of the community.
It had a reputation across Northumberland for serving a range of quality real ales and its customers varied in age.
Now the pub is opening its doors for the final time on Sunday as it will be demolished as part of Dransfield Properties’ new supermarket project.
This will allow improvements to be made at the junction of Dark Lane and Staithes Lane for vehicles. A fountain and some greenery will replace the building.
Among those sad to see it close is Rev Ron Forster, Minister of St George’s United Reformed Church in Bridge Street.
“The Old Red Bull Inn has been a lovely part of the community for many years,” he said.
“It had a really good mix of people and different ages and it was one of the safest pubs in Morpeth.
“The current owners were really caring and everyone who came in received a warm welcome.”
The building was closed for five months from September 2008 as it was badly damaged in the town’s worst flood on record.
It was renovated before re-opening and the new look included a restored tile feature discovered under flooring during the repair process. This was believed to date from the time the inn was rebuilt after a fire at the beginning of the 1900s.