Fugitive jailed at last

A FUGITIVE who was found in Morpeth five years after an horrific nightclub attack is now behind bars.

Michael Flynn, 55, squirted customers and door staff at Glitterball in South Shields with ammonia in January 2007. He appeared at Newcastle Crown Court in November of that year and pleaded guilty to causing grievous bodily harm, administering a noxious substance and common assault.

He was granted bail but failed to turn up for his sentencing hearing in January 2008 and had been on the run ever since.

Flynn, who was living in Jarrow at the time of the attack, was jailed for four-and-a-half years.

The judge said: “I have to deal with you for a number of offences which were committed in 2007.

“You fall now, in 2012, to be sentenced for these offences because you absconded having been granted bail by the crown court.

“I am told the reason for your absconding was your fear, having regard to your history, that you would be treated by the court as a dangerous offender and would receive an indefinite sentence for public protection.”

Prosecutor David Comb told the court trouble broke out in the nightclub in 2007 when Nicholas Thier, who was visiting from Paris, accidentally picked up Flynn’s drink instead of his own.

Flynn flew into a rage, grabbed Mr Thier’s hair and shook him. As Mr Their explained the error to his friends Richard Matthews and David Stubbs, Flynn produced the liquid weapon.

Mr Comb said: “He squirted the liquid into Mr Matthews’ face and swore.

“The defendant then set about David Stubbs, squirting him in the face with the same liquid and punching him about the head until he fell to the floor.

“Once on the floor he proceeded to kick and stamp on the head of Mr Stubbs, he was described as kicking him like a football.”

The court heard when doormen Steven Nicholson and Anthony Harper tried to stop the attack Flynn warned them “I will blind you” and squirted them with the liquid too.

Mr Stubbs suffered the worst injuries and needed stitches to a wound above his eye, which was expected to take 18 months to recover.

All of the victims suffered irritation and sensitivity to the eyes.

Barry Robson, defending, said Flynn had been out celebrating getting a new contract for asbestos removal, but can’t remember what he did because of how much he had to drink.

Mr Robson said: “I can’t mitigate the facts of the offence because he can’t remember the facts.”

Mr Robson said Flynn was arrested in Morpeth, but had been working around the country.