An allegation of rape that was said to have happened in an area of Ponteland last week has been withdrawn.
Police have confirmed today that an alleged incident said to have taken place on the bridle path between Ponteland and Darras Hall on the evening of Thursday, August 27, is no longer being investigated as a rape.
A Northumbria Police spokesman said: “We take any allegations of rape very seriously and they are all fully investigated.
“We would urge anyone who believes they have been a victim of any sexual offence to talk to police, a support agency or someone they trust.
“The man arrested (a 20-year-old) had no connection to the incident and will face no further action. Specially trained officers continue to support those involved in the incident.”