Berwick MP Anne-Marie Trevelyan has shared her views about this summer's EU referendum, including which campaign she will be backing.
The Conservative MP has welcomed the news that the in/out vote will take place on June 23 and said that she believes Britain should come away from the European Union.
She told the Gazette: "I think it is great that there will be a referendum. We have fought long and hard to get a referendum onto the books and the Prime Minister has got that done, which is fantastic. So many people have, for so long, questioned whether or not we should stay in the European Union or have a more distant relationship and now this is their opportunity to have their say."
Backing the campaign for the UK to leave the European Union, she said: "My vote is for the leave side and I will be raising the profile of why I think that is the right option."
Following the marathon talks which concluded in Brussels yesterday between UK Prime Minister David Cameron and 27 other European Union leaders, nailing down a renegotiated UK-EU relationship in the process, Anne-Marie said: "While the Prime Minister worked extremely hard to get the deal done last night, I think it is just tinkering around the edges and only just beginning to touch the sides in terms of returning real sovereignty and authority to the British people."
Reflecting on the feedback she has received so far from within the Berwick constituency, she said: "In terms of correspondence, I would say it is probably 60 per cent in favour of leaving and 40 per cent in favour of staying in. People who want to stay feel they want to be part of a bigger super state, which is where we are at the moment. Those who want to leave want to for a variety of reasons, including that they are fed up with being told what to do by an organisation that they can't reach. It is important that people cast their vote on June 23 because it is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to shape the next how-ever-many decades of where Britain is going."
She has urged people to contact her by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org