Morpeth draw a blank on Sheffield trip

Morpeth Town played two games in the past week but unfortunately failed to register a win.

Wednesday, 17th October 2018, 10:15 am
Updated Wednesday, 17th October 2018, 10:18 am

On Saturday the Highwaymen exited the FA Trophy in the preliminary round when they were beaten 4-3 at home by Brighouse, and on Tuesday they were held to a 0-0 draw on their visit to Yorkshire to face Sheffield FC.

Jonathon Hedge was the busier of the two ‘keepers as he was alert to smother a free kick before the best chances of the game fell to Iulian Petrache and Jeff Henderson, who were both unlucky to see their chances not hit the back of the net.

Sheffield started the brighter of the two sides in the second half, but chances throughout the game were few and far between and the game ended goalless.

On Saturday Brighouse gain a measure of revenge for their defeat in the league at Craik Park earlier in the season. Brighouse advanced 4-3 thanks to goals from Zeph Thomas, a brace from Aaron Martin and an unfortunate own goal by Michael Turner. The Highwaymen netted through Iulian Petrache and a brace of Liam Henderson penalties.

After early chances at both ends the visitors took the lead, when good play by Gabriel Johnson saw him give the ball to Thomas who saw his effort deflect past Dan Lowson and nestle in the bottom corner.

Aaron Martin then nodded over the bar following a melee in the penalty but Petrache acrobatically volleyed home for Town to put the teams level.

Right on the stroke of half-time, Morpeth took the lead through Henderson. Petrache again got on the end of a corner but saw his effort handled on the line by Martin. To the dismay of the home crowd, Martin was only booked, but Henderson kept his cool and rolled the ball home.

Straight after the interval, the visitors restored parity, Johnson again caused panic as he advanced down the left wing and his cross was cruelly put past Dan Lowson by Turner.

Petrache looked the most likely source of adding to the goals and his towering header forced Smith to claw the ball away at his near post.

On 64 minutes, the visitors took the lead for the second time when Martin was able to nod home after Lowson had pushed Thomas’ initial effort away.

Morpeth hit straight back as Henderson doubled his tally. The striker showed great perseverance as he was felled in the box and he kept his composure once again to send the ‘keeper the wrong way from the spot.

The final and winning goal of the game arrived on 84 minutes when Thomas was afforded too much space and he headed home his second of the game to put the visitors ahead for the third and final time.

Morpeth remain seven points clear at the top of the table and on Saturday face Gresley at home.