Funding lifeline of nearly £300,000 for Northumberland museums

Museums Northumberland has received nearly £300,000 in the second round of the Government’s Culture Recovery Fund.

Friday, 2nd April 2021, 12:01 am

The organisation, which comprises Berwick Museum and Art Gallery, Hexham Old Gaol, Morpeth Chantry Bagpipe Museum and Woodhorn Museum, has received £281,544.

In addition to covering lost income, the funding will be used to develop new onsite and online experiences providing greater access to Museums Northumberland’s stories.

Plans include a digital Northumberland Miners’ Picnic, and a new exhibition by leading artist, Jonny Hannah, across Museums Northumberland’s four sites.

Hexham Old Gaol is one of Museums Northumberland's venues that will benefit from the new Culture Recovery Fund grant.

Rowan Brown, chief executive of Museums Northumberland, said: ”We’re absolutely delighted with this lifeline from Arts Council, who've already provided incredible support throughout the pandemic.

"As we work towards reopening our museums – some of which have now been closed for well over a year – we can do so confidently and creatively, with the funding in place to work with our communities in new and dynamic ways.”

More than £300 million has been awarded to thousands of cultural organisations across the country, including Museums Northumberland, in the latest round of support from the Culture Recovery Fund.

Over £800 million in grants and loans has already been awarded to support almost 3,800 cinemas, performance venues, museums, heritage sites and other cultural organisations dealing with the immediate challenges of the coronavirus pandemic.

The second round of awards will help organisations to look ahead to the spring and summer and plan for reopening and recovery.

Culture Secretary, Oliver Dowden, said: “Our record breaking Culture Recovery Fund has already helped thousands of culture and heritage organisations across the country survive the biggest crisis they've ever faced.

“Now we’re staying by their side as they prepare to welcome the public back through their doors - helping our cultural gems plan for reopening and thrive in the better times ahead."

The funding awarded today is from a £400 million pot which was held back last year to ensure the Culture Recovery Fund could continue to help organisations in need as the public health picture changed. The funding has been awarded by Arts Council England, as well as Historic England and National Lottery Heritage Fund and the British Film Institute.

Read More

Read More
BBC's Antiques Roadshow to be filmed in Northumberland this summer

The dramatic events of the pandemic are having a major impact on many of our local valued advertisers and consequently the advertising that we receive. We are now more reliant than ever on your support through buying our newspaper. If you can, please pick up a copy of the Northumberland Gazette when you are at the shops. Thank you.