Colts achieve first home win of season

Line-out action from Morpeth Colts v Middlesbrough Colts on Saturday.
Line-out action from Morpeth Colts v Middlesbrough Colts on Saturday.
Share this article

Morpeth Colts 26 Middlesbrough Colts 5

Morpeth took on a Middlesbrough outfit that had notched up a couple of impressive wins already this season.

The team from Northumberland, meanwhile, had played one league match at home – a disappointing defeat to Westoe.

But on Saturday, the Mitford Road youngsters were in a determined frame of mind, which became evident from the kick-off.

The home pack blasted the visitors off the ball at a ruck and with the backs showing good hands, the ball went wide quickly with full-back Jonas getting on the end of it and running half the length of the pitch to score between the sticks.

Scrum-half Balls added the extras to make it 7-0 within the first minute. Unfortunately, Jonas took a knock to his shoulder a short time later and had to be replaced by Boldy.

Morpeth continued to exert a lot of pressure, having most of the possession and defending well when they had to, but despite spending long periods of time in the Middlesbrough 22 and twice driving over from line-outs, they came away with no points, largely down to a determined Middlesbrough defence.

For the rest of the first half the visitors rarely troubled the Morpeth line and by rights the hosts should have scored another three tries at least, but credit must go to the visitors who defended their line with a great deal of heart and passion.

Changes were made at half-time, with Pringle coming on at full-back and Boldy moving to fly-half for Thompson (snr). Foster-Beattie went onto the wing for McKay and Gavaghan went into the centre for Thompson (jnr).

Morpeth got the second half underway and the forwards won and kept possession of the ball. It was quickly worked wide to Kieran Smith on the wing and he ran in to score. Balls successfully kicked over the conversion (14-0).

Middlesbrough now started to exert some pressure of their own and for the next 10 minutes, a lot of the play was in the Morpeth half with the hosts thwarting attack after attack.

Eventually, Morpeth managed to break out and find themselves in the Middlesbrough half, when from a ruck and with simple hands, the ball found Pringle who dived over to score in the corner – the conversion was missed.

The visitors’ heads never went down and they continued to play with pace and determination, which in the end paid off with a try on the 56th minute, going unconverted (19-5).

Middlesbrough were now having a purple patch and Morpeth’s defence had to be rock solid to keep them out, but games can turn quickly and again Morpeth found the opportunity to get into the Middlesbrough half.

Once there, they managed to finish a well-worked move with a try, flanker Scott who had worked tirelessly all afternoon was the deserved scorer.

Balls added the extras to make the final score 26-5.