Colts make it three county cups in a row

Caymen Nellis on the ball for Morpeth in the Colts County Cup Final.
Caymen Nellis on the ball for Morpeth in the Colts County Cup Final.

Alnwick 12 Morpeth 16 Colts County Cup Final

Sunday saw the Mitford Road young guns representing their club in the Colts County Cup final at Alnwick.

Morpeth made an early furrow into Alnwick’s 22 and came away with three points from the boot of fly-half Walker after three minutes.

The visitors continued to threaten with Alnwick rarely getting out of their half. Unfortunately they could not turn pressure into points.

Sadly, this half saw a player from each side having to retire from the match with injury. The first was the Alnwick captain Corty, who sustained a cut to his leg which required stitches. The second after about 23 minutes played was Morpeth winger Caymen Nellis, who after making a break down the left-wing was tackled fairly but landed awkwardly and dislocated his ankle as well as breaking his leg.

The hard work of the Morpeth pack paid off at the end of the first half, creating space on the left-wing with replacement Trundley being put away to race for the corner and score. Walker added the extras (10-0).

In the second half, Morpeth continued to press and were eventually awarded another penalty which Walker kicked, making the score 13-0.

The match restarted and Morpeth again found their way into Alnwick’s 22, resulting in right-wing McKay being the next to cross the line, unfortunately he was judged to have been held up and in a moment of ill discipline he vented his frustration and spent the next 10 minutes in the bin.

Morpeth failed to deal with Callum Burn and he was allowed to make it into the visitors 22 before he was tackled, but with support from his full-back and wing he offloaded and Alnwick scored a well worked try, the conversion was missed making the score 13-5.

Alnwick’s tails were now well and truly up and it took a mere three minutes for them to score again, under the posts, making an easy conversion and a tense scoreline of 13-12 to Morpeth with eight minutes left to play.

Walker had now retired from the match due to injury and was replaced by Smith at fly-half, Cartwright was also on in the back-row for Singer.

Morpeth were awarded a penalty on the 10 metre line in front of the posts. Scrum-half Ball stepped up and sent the ball through the uprights making it 16-12.after 69 minutes played.

Alnwick regained possession and pushed forward into the Morpeth half but were unable to secure that elusive winning score. The referee blew the end of the match to, it has to be said, a relieved Morpeth side.

This was a thrilling encounter befitting of any cup final with two equally matched teams giving and expecting no quarter in their quest for the title of County Champions, happily for the Morpeth Colts it was their day again for the third year running.