Alnwick hot on Pont heels

Northern Football Alliance Round-up


ALNWICK Town kept up the pressure at the top of the league and maintained their unbeaten record with a hard-fought 1-0 win at Blyth Town, writes Jon Tait.

Chris Moffat drilled in the winner in the 10th minute and keeper Bob Brooks made some great saves as Alnwick defended their lead stubbornly.

Harry Tulip netted a hat-trick for leaders Ponteland United as they beat Wark 3-1 and maintained their five-point lead. Dale Telfer scored for the home side.

Paul Dunn hit two for Killingworth Sporting in their 4-1 win at Murton. Paul Garside shot Murton ahead but an own-goal, Dunn’s double and a Jorge Bollado goal completed the victory and bottom side Cramlington Town were beaten 2-0 at Seaton Delaval Amateurs. Michael Robinson and Craig Johnson scored.

Gateshead Rutherford also won 4-1 at Shankhouse. Kevin Hay hit two and David Casper and John Dewhurst got the others while Johnny Hewitt got the consolation.

Walker Central had a good 2-1 win at Carlisle City. David Bulman tapped in the opener from close range and although James Hartley levelled, Nabby Benny grabbed the winner straight from the restart.

Sergio Royo netted the only goal of the game as Harraby CC won 1-0 at Ashington Colliers. He was unlucky not to add a second as he rattled the inside of the post.


HEATON Stannington went into the Kicks Leisure George Dobbins League Cup semi-finals with a 3-1 victory over Percy Main Amateurs.

Eddie Yates hit a double with Lawrence McKenna also on target before Malcolm Morien pulled one back from the penalty-spot late on.


UNBEATEN Division One leaders Hebburn Reyrolle destroyed third-placed Whitley Bay A 8-1, with Sean Sweeney, Channon North and former Gateshead and Dunston ace Davy Southern all netting doubles and James Wood and Simon Jacobs getting the others, while Glen Reardon netted for the deflated Seahorses.

The goals were flying in at North Shields Athletic as well, with Amble United running out 7-0 winners. Sean Taylor hit a hat-trick with Josh Hay, Ross Gair, Lee Harker and Brent Aisbitt all getting in on the act.

Heddon’s promotion hopes were kept alive with a Daniel Robinson double and Paul Thomson strike in a 3-1 win at Cullercoats. David Fairless netted for the home side.

Joe Murray scored a last-minute winner as bottom-of-the-table Forest Hall celebrated their first victory of the season.

They beat Berwick United 3-2, with Darren Henderson and Seb Curle getting the others and Joe Punton and Martin Cornish on target for gutted Berwick.

Goals from Michael Peace, Matthew Gouland, James Swainston and Chipps gave Newcastle University a 4-0 success over Wallington.


SOUTH Shields United beat Gosforth Bohemian 3-0 to go into the Pin Point Recruitment Charity Cup final.

Arostote Geurin scored twice from the penalty spot and Tony Abladey got the opener. They will face Premier Division Stocksfield who had Ed Brazier score a double in a 3-0 victory over second division Simonside SC, Wayne Stewart netted the other.


WALLSEND Town went back to the top of Division Two thanks to sub Paul Prescott’s late strike.

Craige Burke netted the opener at Hexham with Richard Lognonne equalising just three minutes later. Prescott hit the winner in the 86th minute, while goals from Willington Quay Saints’ Glen Johnson (two) and Mark Henderson earned them a creditable 3-1 win at Newcastle Chemfica Independent. Steve McLaughlin scored for Chemfica.

Wallsend Boys Club had Leroy Odd, Rob Hanley, Dale Clarke and Brett Daley on the scoresheet in a 4-0 win at Cullercoats CP and although Seaton Burn went ahead through Andrew Bennett, Tynemouth United’s Lee Garwood hit a second-half double to claim the points.

Cramlington United were 4-1 down at half-time to Whitley Bay Town, but turned things around to win a thriller 5-4.

Jed Findlay, Chris Fairley (two) and Daniel Sneap scored for Town, with Cramlington’s Simon Gallon, James Harrison (two) and Craig Petrie (two) replying.

Wideopen went down 3-2 at home to Swalwell. Paul Booth and Douglas scored for the bottom side, with goals from Stuart Rook, Darren Turbitt and Mark Fitzpatrick winning it, while Red House Farm and Northbank drew 1-1.