Colliers buried for a second time

Ponteland United 2 Ashington Colliers 0 Northern Alliance League, Premier Division

PONTELAND entertained Ashington after playing the corresponding fixture only 10 days ago.

In that game Ponteland won 2-0 but in midweek Ashington got their shooting boots on to defeat struggling Wark 7-3.

Pont made four changes to the side which drew with Harraby in their midweek fixture, with two enforced through injury.

Michael Havelock and Ross Phillips came in for the injured Garreth Powell and John Redhead, with Daniel Dunn and Chris Flynn replacing Hodgson and Davidson.

The game started in a similar fashion to the one at Ashington, with little goalmouth action in the early stages.

Pont were looking the most dangerous, particularly on breaks, with the speed of Kent, Tulip and Dunn causing problems.

Tulip saw his shot from 22 yards from Dunn’s pass go wide of the target and then Dunn himself shot weakly with his unfavoured left foot.

At the other end, a cross from Williamson down the right was clipped in at the near-post but the wrong side and Anzevui headed a dangerous free-kick from David Brown for a corner, which came to nothing.

On 35 minutes, Pont took the lead when Tulip anticipated a back-pass and closed down the keeper sufficiently to win the ball, leaving himself with the simple task of walking the ball into the net.

Kent and Tulip then combined well down the right but Kent shot firm but wide of the post.

Ponteland had the better of the few chances that came along in the first half but rarely looked in trouble in defence with the back four of Phillips, Ford, Anzevui and Flynn looking solid. Daniel Dunn was having a fine game in midfield, injecting some need, speed and tenacity to this area.

Ashington started brightly in the second half, forcing Pont to defend a couple of corners stoutly but gradually Pont took command and as the game progressed pushed the ball around neatly.

Hodgson came on for Gate and had a shot brilliantly saved by visiting keeper Towart but shortly afterwards, on 65 minutes, Pont increased their lead.

Dummett, playing a more advanced role, fired a shot from 25 yards just wide of the post and, moments later, in a similar position curled a delightful shot into the top corner.

Man-of-the-match Daniel Dunn was all over the pitch, closing players down and linking well with his elder brother John and Mark Dummett.

Pont nearly had a third when Dummett played in an inviting cross into the goal area but it was just missed by substitutes Davidson and Turner and trickled by the far post.

The game ended with the same scoreline as 10 days ago at Ashington but was made more pleasurable when news came through that Alnwick Town had lost 1-0 at Walker.

This meant that, with three games to go, Pont remain at the top of the league by four points although Alnwick have two games in hand.