Cramlington sink to bottom

Northern Football Alliance Round-up


MURTON had to endure a nervous final five minutes when Philip Murray’s deflected shot pinballed into the net, but they held out to claim their first league win since the first weekend in September, writes Jon Tait.

The three points not only put a smile on the players’ faces, but also lifted them off the bottom of the table and gave them hope of avoiding the drop.

With visitors Stocksfield also looking for the points to move themselves away from the relegation zone, it was a nail-biting afternoon and the Griffins took the lead after five minutes through Ryan Marshall.

But goals from Mark Smith, Paul Wintripp and Ryan Brymer put Murton 3-1 up at the break. Despite Murray’s late goal, Murton held on for the points.

Cramlington Town are now on the bottom as they went down 2-1 at home to Ponteland United.

Second-placed Alnwick Town had James Swordy and Wyn Fremlin on target in a 2-0 win at Wark. They now trail Ponteland by two points with a game in hand.

David Dormand scored twice for Shankhouse as they won 3-1 at Carlisle City. Noel Hanlon added the other while Steven Rooke scored for the Cumbrians and Killingworth Sporting’s Anthony Burns scored with a header to secure a 1-0 success at Heaton Stannington.


PERCY Main Amateurs’ Ashley Smyth was mobbed by his team-mates as he grabbed the extra-time winner that took them into the final of the Benevolent Bowl, where they will meet Seaton Delaval Amateurs.


DYLAN Williamson put Ashington ahead just before the break but Malcolm Morien equalised from the penalty spot before Smyth netted the winner in the 112th minute.


FIRST Division leaders Hebburn Reyrolle had Channon North, James Wood, Chris Moore and a Sean Sweeney double on target in a 5-1 win at Newcastle University, whose scorer was Ben Burt.

Second-placed Heddon were held to a 1-1 draw at Gosforth Bohemian. Darren Campbell scored for Bohs and Paul Thompson was the Heddon marksman.

Amble United’s Josh Hay crashed in another hat-trick as they trounced Newcastle East End 6-0. Derek Atwell, Brett Robertson and Sean Taylor all got in on the act.

Cullercoats also hit six against struggling Stobswood Welfare. Craig Deighton got a double with Sean Smith, Graham Allen, Gareth Armstrong and Steven Hart all joining in while Kevin Bell got the consolation.

Omana and Michael Reay scored for bottom side Forest Hall but goals from Blakey, Jonathon Harland and Barry Donnelly gave Morpeth Sports Club a vital 3-2 win.

Peterlee Town had Graham Lacey and Peter Crawford celebrating goals as they won 2-1 at North Shields Athletic. John Morden scored for Athletic.

Dave Hillory scored twice and Tony Abladey and Aris Tole Guerin got the others for South Shields United as they won 4-0 at Berwick United Ultras.

Wallsend Town’s Sean Reid netted two and Mickey Pooley also scored as they beat Northbank 3-2 to go into the Pin Point Recruitment Amateur Cup Final, where they will meet Swalwell.

Goals from Steven Graham, Greg Crilley and Sean Crudd gave Simonside SC a 3-0 win over Cramlington United that put them level on points with Wallsend Town at the top of Division Two while Tynemouth United’s 2-1 win over bottom side Wideopen & District put them fourth. Although Anthony Elliot shot Wideopen in front, Adam Pendlebury levelled and Steven Matthews hit the winner from the penalty spot.

Adam McVickers (two), Mick Bell, Tony King and Mark Fitzpatrick scored for Swalwell as they won 5-2 at Cullercoats Custom Planet. Daniel Vipond and Chris Baldwin replied.

Wallsend Boys Club youngster Rob Hanley celebrated hitting a hat-trick in a 4-1 win over Seaton Burn. Chris Musgrave grabbed the other. Gareth Pugh and Glen Johnstone scored for Willington Quay Saints as they beat Whitley Bay Town 2-0 and Red House Farm ran out 4-0 winners over Hexham.