Decent town do the double

Michael Hall wins the ball. Picture by KEITH ROBERTSON.
Michael Hall wins the ball. Picture by KEITH ROBERTSON.

Morpeth Town 2 Whitehaven 0 Ebac Northern League Division Two

MORPETH made it two wins out of two on Saturday with a decent team performance.

Manager Nicky Gray made only one change to the starting line up, with Jak Wells replacing Steven Mundy in goal. Included among the substitutes was recent signing from Hebburn Town Alex Benjamin, who is now in his second spell at Craik Park.

The home side dominated in midfield and were constantly probing for the opening goal. When it arrived on 25 minutes, it was well worth waiting for.

Chilton flicked the ball on to the advancing Anderson who stuck a venomous half-volley from fully 35 yards into the top of the Whitehaven net.

In the ascendancy, the Highway Men doubled their lead minutes later when the impressive Chilton was again the provider, this time for Fry who scored with a composed finish from 15 yards out.

The visitors threatened briefly to get back into the game in the second half, but their offensive threat was nullified by the ever alert Wilson and Hall.

With three more points in the bag, Morpeth continued their climb up the table and maintained the pressure on the teams above them.

Rusty’s Taxis man-of-the-match: Michael Chilton.

Morpeth Town 3 Crook Town 1

Ebac Northern League Division Two

MORPETH stepped up a gear to record a very impressive victory against the league leaders last midweek and keep their promotion chances alive.

The hosts had the greater amount of possession in the early stages and they were rewarded with a fully-deserved opener on 26 minutes when an incisive through-ball by captain Grant found Anderson in space on the edge of the box. After taking a touch he smashed the ball home.

With Grant, Dines and Fry commanding the midfield, little was seen of Crook as an attacking force until deep into first half injury time.

Davis found some space on the right and his cross shot was parried by the home goalkeeper into the path of Byrne, who bundled the ball towards goal where it was diverted into the roof of the net by the unfortunate Wilson.

From the restart, Fry advanced through the middle and played the ball wide to winger Wright. He skipped past two defenders before rolling the ball across goal to the unmarked Chilton, who scored from close range to regain the lead for the Highway Men.

A flashpoint occurred in the 58th minute when the Morpeth winger received a red card for a robust challenge. Crook midfielder Hall retaliated and also received his marching orders.

With both sides down to ten men the game opened up and Anderson completed the scoring on 75 minutes when he raced onto a Fry flick on to drive the ball into the net.

Crook’s frustration boiled over in the final minute when Davis collected the visitors’ second red card of the game after a reckless challenge on Wilson.

Rusty’s Taxis man-of-the-match: Jordan Fry.