Finnigan goal earns Town point

MORPETH TOWN 1SOUTH SHIELDS 1Carl Finnigan struck an equaliser 11 minutes from time as Morpeth Town fought back for a share of the spoils at home to South Shields in the NPL Premier Division on Tuesday.

Tuesday, 14th January 2020, 6:17 pm
Updated Wednesday, 5th February 2020, 8:48 am
Carl Finnigan.

Jason Gilchrist broke the deadlock at Craik Park 10 minutes after the interval, but former Mariners striker Finnigan pounced on 79 minutes to level matters for the hosts.

The visitors started brightly and in the 14th minute,a Sefton Gonzales’ header from an inswinging free-kick was hacked off the line. Four minutes later Dan Lowson needed to be on his guard in the Town goal to deny a low driven effort from Shields.

For Morpeth, Sean Taylor dragged a shot wide and then had a drive pushed clear by Ryan Whitley in the Shields goal, and at half-time it remained 0-0.

As the game ebbed and flowed Gilchrist found the net first in the 55th minute, the striker guiding the ball home after a right-sided cut-back.

Chris Reid blasted over in the 62nd minute as the home side went in search of a leveller, before Darius Osei, making his debut, sprinted clear only to fbe denied by Lowson..

The impetus was placed firmly on Morpeth to turn the game around. With Joe Walton thrown into the fray and causing problems down the right flank, the Highwaymen found an equaliser with 11 minutes to go.

A corner in from Liam Noble fell for Walton in the box. His shot was scuffed but found Finnigan to tap in from five yards.

Morpeth earned a much needed three points as they won 3-1 against Radcliffe at Craik Park on Saturday.

Carl Finnigan opened the scoring after only seven minutes when he lobbed the goalkeeper. Radcliffe tried to respond and Darren McKnight rattled the crossbar from 40 yards, before Dan Lowson had to make two smart saves to keep the home side in front at the break.

Early in the second half Liam Henderson doubled the tally when he slotted into the corner. Jack Foalle sealed the win in stoppage time after Matt Hughes had pulled a goal back for the visitors.