Goals galore as East Chevington win big

Morpeth Sunday League round-up

Division One

THERE was only one game played in this division on Sunday as two of the division’s teams were in cup action.

Stobswood edged out Riverside Lodge 2-1 thanks to goals from Steffan Tweddle and Robert Baker, the Riverside reply was scored by Chris Marsden.

Division Two

East Chevington’s unbeaten start continued as they ran out comfortable 15-0 winners over Amble Dock Hotel.

Darren Smith (five), Adam Shanks (four), Liam Neeson (two), Jordan Giles, Jack Godfrey, Sean Palmer and Rob Morton all found the net. East Chevington remain top of the table after this victory and are five points clear of their nearest rivals.

North End Trap moved up to second place in the league as they defeated The Elephant 8-1 thanks to four goals from Kevin Bell, a hat-trick from Luke Baston and a penalty from Marc Mavin – The Elephant’s goal was scored by Dan Webb.

In a hard fought contest, HMP Northumberland and Amble Blue Bell played out a 3-3 draw with Amble’s goals scored by Peter Mullen (two) and Andrew Taylor.

The HMP goals came from Jason Singh (two) and Ryan McHugh.

Finally in Division Two this week, Alnmouth Argyle overcame Ashington Conchie 2-1 courtesy of strikes from Chris Chisholm and John Winter. Ashington’s goal was scored by Michael Freathy.

NFA Sunday Cup

Division One side Amble Tavern defeated Blyth Comrades 7-2 thanks to a flurry of second half goals. Blyth had taken the lead in the contest before falling behind 2-1, but at half time the scores were level in what had been a tight opening 45 minutes.

Amble, however, showed their class as they scored five goals in the last 13 minutes to take their place in the second round.

The players getting on the scoresheet for the Tavern were Liam Brooks (four), Nathan Buddle (two) and Jayden Hindhaugh, who scored his first ever goal for the team.

FA Carlsberg Sunday Cup

Bedlington Barrington Arms went down 5-2 against former holders Humbledon Plains Farm FC despite a spirited second half performance.

‘The Monkey’ found themselves 3-0 down at half time, but two quickfire second half goals from David Scott and Josh Laverick put them back into the contest.

A golden chance was then spurned to make it 3-3 by Barrington striker David Scott as his hesitancy after rounding the goalkeeper proved fatal, allowing a recovering defender to stop his goal-bound effort on the line.

Humbledon took full advantage of this missed opportunity as almost immediately after it, they carved out two chances, both of which they converted to kill the tie and take their place in the next round.