Great goal earns Pont three points

Premier Division

By Jon Tait

WALKER Central hit a late winner at Ashington Colliers to maintain top spot.

Dave Brown had shot the Colliers in front but second-half strikes from Phil McCoy and a late Anthony Studholme effort kept Central’s noses in front.

Red House Farm kept up the pressure as Michael Armstrong bagged a brace at Killingworth Station. Paul Newton-Eddy netted the other, with Martin Roper grabbing the consolation.

Blyth Town hit five without reply at Wallington. Malcolm Morien (two), Conner Andrews, David Atkinson and David Robinson did the damage.

Paul Dunn also struck twice for Shankhouse at Percy Main. Peter Snowdon and Gary Yates got the others with Matty Robinson netting twice in reply.

Hebburn Reyrolle’s Martin Urwin, Jamie Lawson (two) and Stephen Cockburn were all smiles as the bottom side beat Northbank convincingly and Stocksfield shared the spoils with Whitley Bay A. Andrew Hall and Declan Stokle were the Griffins’ hit-men with Andy Robertson and Ryan McGorrigan on target for the Seahorses.

It ended goalless between Rutherford and Carlisle City, this mainly being thanks to Rutherford keeper Owen Little who produced a couple of brilliant saves.

Division One

Ponteland United enjoyed a narrow 1-0 win at home to Willington Quay Saints.

The only goal came on 25 minutes thanks to some individual brilliance. Dan Wright dribbled past four or five defenders before getting a sight at goal and firing past keeper Graham.

At the start of the second half, L’Argent was pushed more into midfield for Pont and was unlucky to see his shot, which squirmed under the diving Graham, hit the foot of the post.

The visitors did get the ball in the net on 60 minutes, but it was ruled out for offside.

With players tiring, United changed their focus and sent on energetic teenager Dunn for Cook to partner Wright upfront. The lively teenager picked up a clearance from Rankin, sped down the wing and shot early, but his effort was wide of the target.

A Chris Anderson penalty got Division One leaders Cramlington Town off to a good start against Cullercoats and further goals from David Mason and Kev Long secured the points.

Second-placed Chemfica slipped up at Bedlington Terriers Reserves, who had Mark Race, Reece Farell and Andy Mogwo on target. Chris Homans replied.

Louis O’Donahue’s double gave Bohemians the points at Redheugh, who netted through Scott Robson and a late winner from Francis Storey gave Heddon victory at Hexham.

Luke Strangeways and Michael Saunders shot home for Wooler in their draw with North Shields Athletic, who had Daniel Capewell and Scott Jasper on the scoresheet.

Division Two

Leaders Longbenton were held to a draw by Whitburn Atheltic. David Short netted for the Bulls but Liam Donnelly netted for Athletic.

Wallsend Boys Club are shaping up to be promotion contenders and Chris Brennan struck twice in their win over Grainger Park. Michael Starkie got the other.

Ross Muter, John Bone (two) and Mick Angus kept AFC Newbiggin’s title hopes on track at Wideopen and Curtis Miller netted a hat-trick in Isabella’s victory at Cramlington United.

Dan Gray had given them a shock with the opener, but further goals from Andy Davison and Micky Meins completed the turnaround.