Greens end up with a point after a see-saw encounter

Gateshead Rutherford 3 Wallington 3 Northern Alliance, Premier Division

WALLINGTON were involved in a thrilling game on Saturday.

The visitors took the lead in the 17th minute from the penalty spot after Keenan fouled Jordan Nellis in the box. Sam Walton stepped up and although Little in the Rutherford goal got a hand to the shot, the ball hit the back of the net.

Two minutes later, the Greens were 2-0 up when John Paxton finished off an excellent passing move.

The home side responded well and Wilkinson superbly fired in their first goal from a free-kick on 29 minutes. They came out the blocks well in the second period and Corlett levelled the scores in the 48th minute.

Wallington had their chances, but then went 3-2 behind when Hall headed in from a corner.

They did let their heads drop and Chris Moffitt equalised with only seven minutes remaining with a near post header.

Wallington came into this game on the back of a terrific midweek 2-0 home win against high-flying Killingworth Station.

They had to weather an early storm as the unbeaten Killingworth, who had taken maximum points from their opening five games, started strongly.

But the Greens grew in confidence and started to create some chances of their own. And they took the lead when Kyle Reardon’s throughball was collected expertly by Nellis, who calmly finished through the goalkeeper’s legs.

Ben Fenwick then doubled their advantage with a spectacular free-kick.

At least 30 yards out to the left of the goal, the centre half whipped a quite sumptuous shot over the wall and watched as it flew into the top corner just inside the bar and post.

In the second half, substitute John Paxton added energy to the front line and his constant closing down and harrying was forcing the opposition to gift chances to finish the match.

Nellis fired wide with the goal at his mercy, but was denied a second time only by a smart save to the keeper’s left.

The same player renewed his duel with keeper soon after when he had a good shout for penalty waved away following what appeared to be a clear trip as he rounded the Killingworth number one.

The missed chances were stacking up and when birthday boy Sam Walton broke clear with minutes to go and saw his fierce half-volley miraculously finger-tipped round the post, there were nerves among the home fans as Wallington have conceded quite a few late goals in recent matches.

However, a team who looked like they were finally beginning to learn from their mistakes put in their best performance of the season and restricted the away side to scraps in the second half.

They struck the post late on as they committed men forward, but Wallington, led by man-of-the-match Trevor Baston, claimed a deserved second clean sheet of the season.

The Greens are at home to High Howdon in a cup game on Saturday – 2pm kick-off.