Greens notch derby victory

Morpeth Sporting Club 1 Wallington 4 Northern Alliance, Division One

WALLINGTON bounced back from their last-minute disappointment last week with a thoroughly convincing display against their local rivals, writes Kyle Reardon.

Less than a minute was on the clock when The Greens took the lead after Millican stroked the ball home from 30 yards following a poor kick out from the home goalkeeper.

Sam Walton and John Paxton were enjoying huge amounts of space on either wing, but a concoction of some dodgy bounces and being caught in two minds meant the score remained at a tenuous 1-0.

On 15 minutes it was Millican’s moment again as the milkman capitalised on Morpeth’s failure to clear by showing some ice cool bottle as his fierce shot skimmed into the centre of the goal from the angle.

Once again the goalkeeper’s positioning was poor but it was to Millican’s and Wallington’s gain as he moved into double figures for the season and the team gained some much coveted breathing space.

As the game wore on a battle with not only the opposition but the pitch was ensuing as even five yard passes had to be executed with more care than usual due to the uneven surface.

Wallington were certainly dealing with the pitch better than the home side and were almost rewarded with a stunning third goal.

Good interchanging play between Walton, Reardon and Nellis down the left saw the latter whip in a wicked ball to the far post for the oncoming Paxton – whose first time attempt struck the base of the post and away to safety.

Despite having only 11 players Morpeth gave a committed performance, but in truth never really troubled Wallington’s back five who put in a classy display.

Their only blip came midway through the second half when a Morpeth midfielder slotted into the corner following good work from their striker on the wing.

This goal, however, was already a consolation as five minutes prior Wallington notched their third following some quick thinking and some quick feet.

A free kick 30 yards out was picked up by the alert Slack who fed Nellis while the home side moaned once again at a refereeing decision.

Using one touch to shift it with his right foot, the striker opened up his body and bent a banana like shot with his left into the corner from just outside the box.

Morpeth tried to rally after their goal but the introduction of the freshly legged Gilmartin along with the superior fitness levels of the away side all contributed to the restoration of the three goal margin.

Good play by Slack and Reardon down the left saw the ball pulled back to Walton on the edge of the box. His placed shot was parried by the goalkeeper but Jewitt was on hand to prod home from five yards out.

For the final 20 minutes the old and the new were introduced as 30-year-old Baston and 17-year-old Walton replaced Jewitt and Walton Snr to perfect effect.

With the home side getting visibly and vocally frustrated, the two substitutes helped to calm the game down by keeping the ball away from the tiring opposition.

In the final five minutes, Morpeth were reduced to nine men after their captain and centre midfielder were sent off.

The result moves Wallington up to sixth in the table.

• Next season the club is looking for a candidate to take up the role of Secretary/Assistant Secretary.

Due to the current incumbent taking a sabbatical, the team will be looking for someone to take up the role before the start of next season or earlier if they wish to get a feel for the role.

The atmosphere within the club is a very friendly one with players of young and old making up a very closely knit squad – from the committee and staff all the way down to the players.

The club holds many fundraising events during the course of the season, including the very popular Wallington Race Night due to take place next weekend at Middleton Village Hall.

Anyone interested in the position can contact Chairman Peter Douglass on 01670 772540 or Robin Slack on 01670 772667.