Highwaymen force replay in FA Vase

Marske United 2 Morpeth Town 2 (after extra-time, replay to be played) FA Carlsberg Vase, First Qualifying Round

WITH £500 prize money up for grabs, the Highwaymen travelled to Teesside on Saturday in search of cup glory.

From the first whistle Marske had the visitors on the back foot as they peppered the goal in search of an opener.

They were constantly denied by the exceptional Jak Wells, who was called upon to make three one-on-one saves in the first 20 minutes.

Having weathered this storm, Morpeth came close to breaking the deadlock when Hall crashed a diving header off the far post.

With the experienced former Whitby Town target man Brunskill a permanent threat up front, the home side took the lead with a towering header from Carling just before the break.

One down at the break, manager Nick Gray brought on Wilson at half-time and his wing back play was to be vital in the Town fightback.

The Morpeth midfield started to control possession and a deserved equaliser came 10 minutes into the second half when substitute Wilson released Andrews, who drew Alison in the home goal and calmly finished from 15 yards.

An end-to-end game ensued but both defences held firm to take to match into extra-time.

Ten minutes from the end of extra-time, Wilson fired in from distance to give Morpeth the lead.

However, the Highway Men were to denied a place in the next round when Onions met Lambert’s cross to head home the equaliser.

Despite the disappointment of conceding a leveller deep into stoppage time, Town can take heart from their second-half performance against opposition from a higher league.

A home tie with Whitehaven awaits the victors of the replay.

Cancer Research UK man-of-the-match: Jak Wells.

Morpeth team: Wells, Johnson (Wilson), Dunn, Grant, Tumilty, Hall, Keenan (Henderson), Fry, Andrews (Cartwright), Anderson, McAlpine.

Next match at Craik Park: Ebac Northern League Division Two against Esh Winning on Wednesday. Kick-off is 7.30pm.