Honours even brings welcome point

Ponteland United 1 Hebburn Reyrolle 1 Northern Alliance, Premier Division

THE spoils were shared in an entertaining contest between Ponteland and Hebburn.

With playmaker Alan Pegram in the middle of the field and target men Ray Oshin and Channon North up front, Hebburn would always be dangerous and Pont needed to be alert.

The hosts had an early opportunity when a cross from Marc Dummett, making his debut for the season, found Tulip but couldn’t direct his header on target.

United forced several corners but Hebburn looked solid and defended well. The visitors took the lead after a quarter of an hour. A ball was played out wide to Oshin and although he looked well offside, play was allowed to go on and the cross was inch perfect for North to head into the roof of the net.

Having served notice of the danger, they nearly scored again in identical fashion but this time North headed over.

There was little between the teams. A great ball from Gate found Turner free down the left but his shot was brilliantly saved by Hebburn’s custodian Shaun Newbrook.

Redhead picked up the rebound and teed the ball up for Tulip who shot wide of the upright.

After neat play by Gary Newbrook, North was put through on goal but Pont’s young keeper Carter dived bravely to clear the danger.

Carter did even better midway through the first half when he dived to his left to palm away a Pegram penalty.

The second half was played in torrential conditions, however this did contribute to an exciting second period with both sides looking to win.

Ponteland were pressing for an equaliser and it duly came after 55 minutes. Hodgson took advantage of some space in midfield and advanced towards the 18-yard line before unleashing a low drive which keeper Newbrook couldn’t hold.

The ever-alert Tulip followed up to shoot the rebound left footed into the net.

This goal gave Pont renewed hope and they took the game to the visitors as they pressed for a second.

In one short period shots rained in at the Hebburn goal but they defended soundly.

Hebburn had the better of the chances to secure the points, but some woeful finishing and the excellent form by Pont’s keeper Carter meant the points were shared.

This was a welcome point for United following a midweek 1-0 defeat at home to Walker Central.

On 37 minutes the hosts conceded an unnecessary free-kick in a dangerous position just outside the area.

While players were waiting to see who was going to take the kick, the experienced Ian Dunn stepped up to curl a left foot shot into the unguarded side of the goal to put the visitors in front.

Pont’s best chance came later in the first half when Hodgson played Tulip in beyond the defence, but he shot wide.