Injury-time heartache for Morpeth

HYDE UNITED 1MORPETH TOWN 1Morpeth suffered heartbreak in added time again for the third time in their last five games.

Wednesday, 2nd October 2019, 4:05 pm
Updated Monday, 21st October 2019, 1:32 pm
Action from Saturday's game. Picture by Michael Briggs.

The Highwaymen were looking good value for the three points based on an assured second half display that had seen them dictate long passages of play.

Ben Ramsey had scored with his first touch on his debut in the 90th minute before Tom Pratt equalised for Hyde United in the 95th minute.

This was a game which swung end to end, with half chances falling for both sides.

In the first half Walton stung the palms of Luke Mewitt at his near post whilst the Tigers should have taken the lead on 35 minutes when they countered at speed and the captain Tom Pratt drove into the area but on his weaker foot he pulled his shot across goal.

On 65 minutes, both sides were inches away from opening the scoring as Jack Dyche as unable to get his head on a cross from Turner before Chris Reid drilled in a low cross that evaded Tom Potter at the far post.

As the game entered the business end of the half, Morpeth produced possibly their best bit of football as substitue Sean Reid and Sean Taylor combined on the edge of the area, but Taylor saw his shot blocked by the imposing figure of Luis Morrison.

Most fans could be forgiven for thinking that there was to be no late drama after a fairly tepid game but they were wrong.

Dyche was given his marching orders on 88 minutes after picking up a second yellow card for hauling back Jeff Henderson.

It was from this free kick that Morpeth took the lead. Noble floated the ball into the area; it dropped kindly for substitute Ben Ramsey who smashed the ball across goal and into the corner of the net with his first touch on his debut.

With five minutes of added time played, Hyde levelled. Jordan Fagbola won an aerial ball and it fell kindly to Pratt who was able to hook ball home from eight yards out.

There was barely a chance for the game to restart as Morpeth suffered their fourth 1-1 draw in the last five league games.