Lean, mean Greens are goal machines

Wallington 8 Peterlee Town 3 Northern Alliance, Division One

WALLINGTON stretched their unbeaten run to four games as they overcame Peterlee Town on Saturday with their highest league win of the season.

The Greens got off to a bad start after the lacklustre Kyle Reardon lost possession in the centre of the field and was punished when a Peterlee striker found space in the area to nod home.

But Reardon quickly bounced back as the team’s strategic kick-off routine finally paid off after a season of trial and error.

Jordan Nellis latched onto a long ball at the corner flag and after overpowering the full-back, headed inwards before squaring across goal for Reardon to atone for his earlier misdemeanour.

From being a goal down, the hosts could have been 2-1 up a minute later, but Josh Gilmartin directed Sam Walton’s cross wide from five yards when it looked easier to score.

John Paxton, who was a late inclusion for the injured Peter Southern, then enjoyed a purple ten-minute period as he took advantage of some suspect defending. First, he capitalised on a poor clearance from the goalkeeper to confidently lob it back over him with the outside of his right foot.

He then latched onto the end of Tom Macpherson’s knock-down from a corner to prod in his second at the second attempt.

But the pocket-sized forward saved his best till last when latching onto a Reardon through-ball. He held off the defender and drilled the ball home early from outside the area to double his tally for the season.

At 4-1, Wallington had afforded themselves some breathing space, but due to some bad communication from a long free-kick and a poor challenge from Reardon resulting in a wonder free-kick, the opposition found themselves only one behind at the break.

A tighter defensive display in the second period was the foundation for another four goals that saw the home side end up as very comfortable winners.

Nellis made it 5-3 after latching onto a long punt from Straker and he soon got his second from the edge of the area after being teed-up by substitute Jonnie Kimmitt.

He was then grateful to another replacement when Jake Walton escaped the offside trap and rolled the ball across the goal for his second hat-trick of the season.

Wallington’s eighth goal came when Jake Walton received a pass from Alex Slack and after taking a touch, he showed composure above his years to coolly slot home.