Marc’s scorcher wins it

Share this article

Morpeth Sporting Club U17s 3 Blyth Town U17s 2 (after extra-time)

MORPETH had a break from league action this week and found themselves involved a cup fixture against Blyth Town, who had beaten them in the league a few weeks previously.

The game proved to be very entertaining throughout and a determined home side eventually came out on top this time round.

Blyth were far quicker to the ball in the opening 15 minutes and Morpeth struggled to get into the game.

Jack Hunter created a good chance for himself but shot wide and James Brown was a threat to Blyth’s defence.

However, other than the occasional attack, Morpeth had to defend for long periods and it was no surprise when Blyth took the lead midway through the half.

Jack Philips, who deputised in goal for Morpeth, had to be alert on a number of occasions as he left his penalty area to clear well.

But the hosts started to grow in confidence and scored out of the blue when Jonny Wilson put in a dangerous cross and Brown was on hand to steer the ball past the goalkeeper.

Morpeth were more in control in the second half, with Jack Travers and Wilson working very hard in the centre of midfield.

A few half-chances were created before the home side was awarded a penalty when Kyle Nelson was fouled after good work by Luke Rolt. Travers hit his penalty well but Blyth’s goalkeeper dived to his right to save.

That gave the visitors a boost and they came more into the game. A nasty head injury to Travers upset Morpeth’s rhythm for 10 minutes but he typified the spirit of the team by returning, suitably bandaged.

Unfortunately, Blyth were awarded a free-kick shortly after and scored with only 10 minutes remaining.

Undaunted, Morpeth pressed and they were awarded another penalty after good work by Hunter. Brown stepped up to equalise with his second goal.

It looked as though that would be the end of the action but there was still time for Philips to make a brilliant save to take Morpeth into extra-time.

Both sides had chances in the first period of extra-time before an extraordinary goal by Marc Tully won the game for Morpeth.

He controlled a pass from Wilson, flicked the ball over a defenders’s head and then volleyed the ball into the far corner of the net from over 25 yards.

Despite the occasional scare, Morpeth held on and came out worthy winners.

Squad: Philips, Tordoff, Laux, Vescio, Fawcett, Tully, Wilson, Brown, Travers, Hunter, Robertson, Larby, Rolt, Nelson.