Minor skirmishes settled



FIRST Division Whitley Bay A went into the fourth round of the Northumberland FA Minor Cup as they beat Second Division Hexham 5-0, and there were further County Cup successes for Gosforth Bohemians and Stobswood Welfare, writes Jon Tait.

Bohemians hit a late winner in a 2-1 success at Second Division Seaton Burn, who had Ian Armstrong on target from the penalty spot, and Adam Shanks hit a hat-trick for the Welfare in their 6-1 thumping of Blyth Town Reserves. Chris Glass (two) and Robert Baker got the others.

Morpeth Sporting Club were left red-faced as they were held 2-2 at North Northumberland League Bedlington Terriers Reserves before crashing out 4-3 on penalties.

South Shields United’s Durham FA Minor Cup second round clash with Sunderland Thorney Close Inn was postponed and Murton were dumped out of the Durham FA trophy 2-1 at home by Coundon and Leaholm Youth, who now meet First Division Hebburn Reyrolle in the semi-finals of the competition.


ALNWICK Town are in the Kicks Leisure Cup Final as they beat Blyth Town 3-2.

Dale Kennedy gave Alnwick an early lead but Jeffrey Fuller equalised soon after. Neil Catlow made it 2-1 but Blyth levelled through Craig Hopwood. Tom Vickers struck the winner late on from the penalty spot.

Town will meet Seaton Delaval Amateurs in the final.

Michael Fenwick shot them ahead in their clash with Percy Main Amateurs but Graham Smith levelled. With neither side able to produce a winner, Delaval won a thrilling penalty shoot-out 4-3.


LAST season’s runners-up Hebburn Reyrolle knocked out Amble United with a 2-1 win.

Channon North and Ray Oshin scored either side of half-time and despite all Amble’s late pressure, they couldn’t force the issue and Lee Harker’s late goal was no more than a consolation.

Newcastle Uni beat Forest Hall 3-0 as Andrew Hartley struck twice for the students and Daniel Clements added the third after the break.


WALLSEND Town capitalised on a goalkeeping blunder as they beat Wallsend Boys Club 1-0.

Boys Club missed some great chances, including a penalty after just five minutes, as they crashed out while Swalwell went into the last four with a 6-1 win at Wideopen.

Mark Fitzpatrick (two), Adam McVicker (two), Chris Smith and Joe Johnson scored after Charlie Noble had shot Wideopen ahead.


PONTELAND United trail Alnwick Town by just a point at the top of the table after beating Shankhouse 2-0 in a close encounter.

Andrew Davison broke the deadlock in the 68th minute and Harry Tulip sealed the victory in the 87th minute.

Carlisle City’s Mark Graham scored the only goal of the game as they moved up into third spot with a narrow victory over basement side Cramlington Town and Killingworth Sporting were beaten by an injury time header from Gateshead Rutherford’s Andrew Reay.

Marc Pattie struck twice as Ashington Colliers won 3-0 at Stocksfield. Michael Hogg netted the other but was sent off later on.

Walker Central beat Wark 7-2 and had Nabby Benny (two), John Robson, Liam Mulligan, Grant Kershaw, Ben Taylor and Abbubaker Sallinon on target. Wark’s replies came from Tony Lancaster and a Paddy MacAlindon penalty.


NEWCASTLE East End suffered a heavy 7-2 home defeat at the hands of Cullercoats.

Graeme Allen, Craig Deighton and David Fairless all hit two apiece while sub Steven Hart added the other. Lee Halpin and Derek Lowson scored for East End.

Jamie Punton, Craig Heugh, Stewart Wright and John Dryden scored for Berwick United Ultras as they beat Peterlee Town 4-3 and Heddon were 4-1 victors over North Shields Athletic.

Dan Robinson, John Pearson and Kevin Urwin (two) were Heddon’s marksmen while Steven Ardley scored Athletic’s consolation.


THE goals were flying in down in Division Two.

Tynemouth United went joint-top of the table after a 6-2 drubbing of Willington Quay Saints’ Lee Garwood scored a hat-trick with Michael Armstrong, Darren Turnbull and Scott Rowan also on target.

Simonside SC thrashed Cullercoats CP 7-0 with Ricky Brown, Steven Pearce, Kyle Rylie, Ben Cooper and Greg Wylie all on the score sheet while Sean Edwards added a classy double.

Red House Farm thumped bottom side Newcastle BT 7-0. Rob Nolan netted a hat-trick while his team-mate Liam Brown got two. Martin Soulsby and Aaron Lewis added the others.

Paul Fiddler, Scott Thompson and Andrew Rogerson scored for Northbank as they beat Whitley Bay Town 3-0.