Morpeth denied by Basford

BASFORD UNITED 1MORPETH TOWN 0Morpeth made the long trip to Nottinghamshire last Saturday to face high-flying Basford United and were unlucky to come home empty-handed after a dominant display.

Friday, 24th January 2020, 11:23 am
Updated Wednesday, 29th January 2020, 12:08 pm
Action from Basford v Morpeth. Picture by Michael Briggs.

A quiet opening quarter of the game saw the best opportunity fall the way of the hosts but Michael Turner was forced to cut out a dangerous cross just as Ashley Worsfold was waiting to tap the ball home.

On 14 minutes, Morpeth carved out their first opportunity of the game when Chris Reid climbed highest at the far-post but saw his header come back off the woodwork. The hosts were forced to clear under pressure before a second cross came into the area but Liam Henderson couldn’t direct his header towards goal.

Morpeth grew in confidence as the half wore on but a series of corners from Liam Noble were to no avail as Basford were able to deal with these fairly comfortably.

Against the run of play, the hosts then took the lead. James Reid curled home a tremendous free-kick from the edge of the box leaving Dan Lowson with no chance.

Morpeth continued to get into promising positions at the start of the second half but the final ball was lacking the quality to create good chances.

On 52 minutes, Morpeth enjoyed a good spell of possession on the edge of the Basford area but it ended with Wayne Phillips drilling an effort wide of the post.

The game broke into action on the hour mark with the home side having appeals for a penalty turned down and instead being awarded a corner. From the corner, Morpeth were able to launch a counter-attack; it ended with Stephen Forster whipping in a delightful cross that Henderson could only head straight at Kieron Preston in the Basford goal.

As Morpeth continued to press, Reid was denied by a good save from his header by Preston. Another Reid header then hit a post late in the game before a shot was cleared off the line.

Into added time and Morpeth continued to press and Sean Taylor was poised to strike the ball across goal, it bobbled allowing a covering defender to block at the death.