Northern Alliance Round-up

PONTELAND United remain in pole position after an entertaining goalless draw with Heaton Stannington and the stage is set for this weekend when the top two clubs meet in what could prove a silverware showdown.

Gateshead Rutherford goalkeeper David Bebbington was left shrugging his shoulders as Alnwick Town grabbed a bizarre winner.

Bebbington reached up to catch a high ball that spilled from his grasp and fell behind him. As it dropped, he span to gather it and was gutted as the referee indicated that it was over the line and gave a goal.

Alnwick went in front when Tom Vickers scored from the penalty spot but Kevin Hay equalised before the strange winner that keeps the St James’s Park side in a strong position for the title.

At the other end of the table, Cramlington Town were boosted by a 3-2 win over Percy Main.

Kieran Parsons, Chris Bone and Simon Wilson struck to put Town three up at the break and although Jason Ritchie and Craig Ewart pulled goals back, they held out for three vital points.

Mike Swift’s penalty put Harraby in front against Murton and Matthew Thompson headed in a second soon after. Andrew Upperton pulled one back before Simon Tucker made it 3-1. Mark Smith headed Murton’s second but Tucker fired into the roof of the net to make it 4-2 at the break with Jordan Cowley tapping in number five.

Steven Anderson (two), Craig Johnston, Craig Cook and Steven Howe were on target for Seaton Delaval Amateurs as they beat Wark 5-1. James Peel got the consolation.

Shankhouse’s Michael Bell and David Dormand scored as they beat Stocksfield 2-1, with Wayne Stewart netting for the Griffins.

Carlisle City won 2-0 at Walker Central with goals in each half from Jamie Heath and Ian Grainger.

Ashington Colliers won 3-1 at Blyth Town to go into the final of the Kicks Leisure George Dobbins League Cup.

Jeff Fuller shot Blyth ahead but goals from Mark Pattie, Liam Davidson and Dylan Williamson ensured that the Colliers will face Heaton Stannington for a shot at the trophy.

Forest Hall thrashed North Shields Athletic 8-0 to move off the bottom of Division One. Lomana (three), Ryan Anderson, Seb Curle, Thomas Jones and Dean Smith were all on the score sheet while Stobswood Welfare had Adam Shanks and Chris Graham on target but South Shields United replied through Tony Abladey (two) and David Hilary (two) as the Welfare went into the basement.

Jordan Nellis and John Paxton both hit hat-tricks for Wallington as they hammered Peterlee Town 8-3. Kyle Reardon and Jake Walton were also on target while Martin Jones (two) and Graham Ball netted for the visitors.

Goals from Sean Jobson (two) and Ian Lee gave Whitley Bay A three precious points as they beat Cullercoats 3-2, with Gareth Allen and Craig Deighton replying and Craig Allen volleyed home for Gosforth Bohemians as they beat Newcastle East End 1-0.

Jamie Punton scored twice for Berwick United Ultras but Newcastle University’s Ben Burt grabbed a double himself as the sides drew 2-2.

Martin Dixon scored the only goal of the game as Newcastle Chemfica Independent beat Red House Farm 1-0 while Wallsend Town’s Gary Hall hit a last-minute winner as they beat Hexham 3-2.

Alex Downie and Ryan Arnott were Town’s other scorers with Sean Henderson and Richard Lonoggne netting for the Tynedalers.

Andrew Quinn (two), David Scroggin, Steven Graham and Adam Bravey all scored for Simonside SC in their 5-1 victory at Whitley Bay Town, whose consolation came from Richard Biggs.

David Brunsden netted a double in Tynemouth United’s 3-1 win over Swalwell. Chris Garwood added the third and Darren Turbitt cringed as he put the consolation into his own net.

John Slavin (two) and Lee McDermott were the Northbank hit-men in their 3-1 win over Cramlington United, who had Craig Petrie on target and Gareth Pew’s opener for Willington Quay Saints was cancelled out by Wallsend Boys Club’s Leroy Odd.

Mark Davison and Lewis Grant netted for bottom side Wideopen, but they were undone by replies from Maughan, Nicky Hara and David Hewitt for visitors Seaton Burn.