Northern Alliance round-up and results

ANDY Reay’s last-minute winner for Rutherford so knocked the stuffing out of Ponteland United boss Jarrod Suddick that he handed in a surprise resignation after the game.

His side, who won the Premier Division title last season, were 3-0 up at the break with goals from Nkuriza Suaibu, who struck in the 14th and 23rd minutes, and John Dunn, who shot home in the 41st.

Reay, an international in the GB deaf squad, pulled one back in the 57th minute and when Dan Hill got a second in the 66th minute, United were rocking.

Elliott Dodd levelled things up in the 76th minute and Reay fired a 15 yard volley into the net in the dying seconds to complete the amazing turnaround.

Suddick, who has been with the club eight years, and his assistant Steve Baxter, who has been at United as a player and coach for 20 years, felt that they couldn’t continue due to the pressures of work and personal commitments.

The club are seeking a new management team and any interested parties can contact chairman Alan Birkinshaw on 07774 523 762.

It also finished 4-3 at Ashington Colliers as they inflicted a first defeat of the season on Carlisle City in a thrilling end-to-end encounter.

The Colliers, who twice came from behind, had Liam Davison (pen), Glen Bolton, a superb curling david Brown free kick and Ant Watson on target while Carl Murphy, Mark Graham and Stuart Hill scored for the Sky Blues.

Heaton Stannington took advantage to go top as Gary Yates struck twice in a 3-0 win at Murton, sub Kevin Carr getting the other, while Franco Di Pietro scored twice for Killingworth as they beat Harraby CC 2-0, his second a wonder strike that flew in from 20 yards.

Daniel Beresford’s last minute header earned Blyth Town a point against Hebburn Reyrolle. Chris McDonald opened for the visitors but David Atkinson headed home and Ray Oshin scored late on for Hebburn, only for Beresford to level again.

It also finished all square at Whitley Bay A, whose scorers were Gav Hattrick and Nile Younger, with Kyle Houshby and Craig Ewart (pen) replying for Percy Main.

Mark Crennell, Andrew Middlemiss and Paul Innes scored for Shankhouse in their 3-2 derby win at Seaton Delaval, who had Michael Fenwick (pen) and Selsos Anjos on the scoresheet to level from two down.

Dean Imrie struck twice for Walker Central at Stocksfield but goals from Carl Campbell, Oliver Rodley and Phil Murray gave the Griffins the points.

Goals from Josh Hay and Sean Taylor gave Amble United a 2-0 win over Cullercoats and maintained top spot in Division One, while Wallsend Town won 5-0 at Forest Hall with James Mills hitting two. Gary Hall, Steven Matthew and a Ian Hall own goal completed the tally.

Gosforth Bohemians’ Craig Allen was unlucky to put the opener into his own net at Cramlington Town and further goals from Simon Wilson and Luke Newton secured the points.

Heddon struck twice in the last minute to turn things around against Newcastle Uni. Daniel Clements shot the Students ahead after 72 minutes but Peter Scott levelled in the 89th and Haydon Gilmour got the winner in the 90th.

Rob Haney’s double for Morpeth Sports was cancelled out by two goals from Newcastle Chemfica Independent’s Craig Robinson as the sides shared the spoils.

An own goal and a Zak Brogden effort maintained pole position for Division Two leaders Red House Farm at Wallsend Boys Club, who had Andy Robertson score in reply while Dean Lees, Daniel Robinson and Jason Pearson netted for New Fordley in their 3-1 success at Whickham Lang Jacks. Michael Lowdon replied.

Although Mark Henderson shot home from the penalty spot to give Willington Quay Saints the lead at Hexham, the green and whites hit back with goals from Liam Heenan, Scott Robson (2), Graeme Turner and an own goal completed the rout, while it ended goalless in the fixture between Seaton Burn and Wideopen.

Swalwell went ahead at Cramlington United through Adam Langley and although Kyle Leadbitter equalised, late goals from Michael Bell and Anthony Telfer gave Swalwell the win.

Bedlington Terriers advanced in the Pin Point Recruitment Amateur Cup with goals from Mark Nicholson and Michael Grieves earning them a spot in the second round at the expense of North Shields Athletic, whose scorer was Robert Hamilton, while Harton & Westoe won 4-2 at Alnwick Town Reserves in the Kicks Leisure George Dobbins League Cup.

Simon Robinson’s flash of inspiration as he let fly from almost the half way line to give Northbank an early lead against Borough in the Cumberland Senior Cup wasn’t enough as Steven Kirkbride latched onto a mistake to knock in the leveller in the 20th minute and ten minutes later Daniel McAdam again took advantage of a defensive mix-up to scramble in the winner from close range.


Premier Division: Ashington Colliers 4 Carlisle City 3; Blyth Town 2 Hebburn Reyrolle 2; Gateshead Rutherford 4 Ponteland United 3; Killingworth Sporting 2 Harraby Catholic Club 0; Murton 0 Heaton Stannington 3; Seaton Delaval Amateurs 2 Shankhouse 3; Stocksfield 3 Walker Central 2; Whitley Bay A 2 Percy Main Amateurs 2.

Division One: Amble United 2 Cullercoats 0; Cramlington Town 3 Gosforth Bohemians 0; Forest Hall 0 Wallsend Town 5; Heddon 2 Newcastle University 1; Morpeth SC 2 Newcastle Chemfica Ind 2; Wark P Wallington P.

Division Two: Cramlington United 1 Swalwell 3; Hexham 5 Willington Quay Saints 1; Seaton Burn 0 Wideopen and District 0; Wallsend Boys Club 1 Red House Farm 2; Whickham Lang Jacks 1 New Fordley 3.

The Kicks Leisure George Dobbins League Cup Round One: Alnwick Town Reserves 2 Harton & Westoe CW 4.

The Pin Point Recruitment Amateur Cup Round One: Bedlington Terriers Reserves 2 North Shields Athletic 1.