Northern Football Alliance League roundup


THE eagerly-anticipated top-of-the-table clash between Heaton Stannington and Carlisle City was settled by sub Michael Waggett, who came off the bench and tucked away the only goal of the game yesterday (Saturday, October 15), writes Jon Tait.

Waggett, who had only been on the pitch for five minutes, latched onto a long through-ball and steered low into the net to put Heaton five points clear.

Sean Bannon proved lightning does strike twice as he marked his league debut at Harraby CC by firing two unstoppable 25-yard free-kicks into the net at Shankhouse.

The powerfully-built former Gillford Park striker thundered in the opener in the 17th minute and, after Dan Balmer had added a second in the 34th minute, he struck again with an identical blast from distance.

Craig Deighton pulled one back before the break, but Mark Shiel restored the visitors three-goal advantage in the 75th minute.

Dan Chambers netted a penalty three minutes later and Deighton added his second two minutes from time as Shankhouse slipped to only their second defeat.


SEAN Reid was on fire and struck four times as Wallsend Town went top of Division One with a 6-2 win over Forest Hall. Paul McHutcheon and Steven Matthews got the others.

Tim Rakshi bagged a brace for Newcastle University in a 4-1 success over Morpeth SC. Adam Ball and Adam Fearn also scored for the Students, with the visitors pulling one back from the penalty-spot.


JoOHN Barnes netted a late winner for Bedlington Terriers Reserves as they went into third spot in Division Two after a scrappy win over Wideopen.

Willington Quay Saints began moving up the table with a 3-2 success over Alnwick Town reserves. Kane Chirnside struck twice for Saints with Glen Johnson netting the other. James Davison and Chris Kidd were the Town hit men.


NORTHBANK’S Cameron Wilson, Nicky Routledge, Steven Perkins and Simon Robinson (two) were on target at Cramlington United as they advanced in the Pin Point Recruitment Bill Gardner Trophy. Darren Robinson struck for United.

Cramlington Town also went through in the competition as they beat Hexham 4-1 with goals from Jurdgen Regazi, Paul Blakey, Dan Cave and Kevin Ord. Curtis Harvey was the Hexham scorer.


THERE were a number of shocks in the Kicks Leisure George Dobbins League Cup second round.

Ponteland United were sent crashing out by Division Two’s Red House Farm, Robert Nolan grabbing the winner 10 minutes after the break.

Gosforth Bohemians beat Percy Main 4-1. Darren Campbell got two and Paul Studley and Matty Atkin joined him on the scoresheet. Kevin Westphall grabbed the consolation.

Steven Hart’s double for Cullercoats put them into the third round as they beat Rutherford 2-1. Dan Robinson struck the reply.

It looked like Wallsend Boys Club might pull off a shock at Ashington Colliers as goals from Adam Gibson and Nick Whitelaw put the Division Two side two up at the break. But Joe Moscrop struck four times after the interval, with Andrew Carr and Matthew Dunn also scoring, to turn things around.

Walker Central were made to work hard for their 4-2 win at New Fordley. Ryan Carr shot the home side ahead, with Paul Collinson levelling. Andrew Waugh put the Division Two side back on top, but Collinson went on to grab a hat-trick and James Walker added a fourth for the visitors.

Scott Baxter scored for Harton & Westoe, but Murton had Gavin Nesbitt (two), Luke Wallace (two), Callum Sinclair and Liam Wintripp smash the net.

Michael Lowdon’s deflected shot gave Whickham Lang Jacks an early lead at Heddon. Robert Frame levelled in the 65th minute and notched the winner with five minutes to go.

Ben Fenwick and Daniel Thompson scored for Wallington at Newcastle Chemfica Independent, whose sole reply came from James Jenkinson.

Amble United’s Josh Hay plundered a hat-trick at North Shields Athletic. Ross Gair and a Josh McGur own-goal made up their tally, with James Cowx scoring for Athletic.

Michael Bowman hit a double for Killingworth Sporting at Seaton Burn, with Liam Callaghan grabbing the other in a 3-1 win. Steven Cherry netted the consolation.

It also finshed 3-1 at Swalwell as Whitley Bay A went into the hat. David McDonald, Gav Hattrick and a Mick Bell own-goal made up the Seahorses’ tally, with Adam McVickers the home scorer.

Goals from Scott Johnson, Ben Pearson, Steve Forster and Karl Campbell gave Stocksfield passage into Round Three against Alston, while Hebburn Reyrolle won the all-Premier Division affair at Blyth Town after extra-time.

Mark Waugh netted for Town, but Alan Pegram, two Liam Clark penalties and a Gary Dadd strike sent Reyrolle through.