Northern Football Alliance round-up

(Saturday, January 14, 2012)


HARRABY CC are up to sixth in the table with games in hand on the clubs around them after Dan Balmer crashed in a hat-trick that condemned basement side Murton to more misery on a day when fixtures were hit by frozen pitches, writes Jon Tait.

The Cumbrians looked rusty after going a month without a game with passes going astray and not much coming off, but went ahead in the 39th minute as Peter Ferris struck.

Murton were dealt a blow when their keeper was injured and couldn’t continue and 17-year-old Matthew Billyard, who scored at the other end last weekend, pulled on the gloves.

There was little he could do as Balmer raced onto a long ball and fired past him for the second and he was beaten again soon after when Dean Armstrong was quickly onto a weak back-header to prod home.

Balmer again went clear and drew the young stopper before slotting number four and he completed his treble in the 86th minute.

Anthony Besford netted a consolation in the final minute with a fine 20-yard chip.

Walker Central moved five points clear of the drop zone as Alex Clafton hit the winner at Blyth Town.

Paul Collinson shot central ahead but Danny Beresford levelled soon after. Two quick-fire goals after the break by Fabian Pritchard and Besford put Central in control and although Kyle Devlin pulled one back, they held on for the points.


AMBLE United were made to sweat for the points by a hard-working Gosforth Bohemians and had defender Richard Brown to thank for a stunning 25-yard drive that flashed into the net in the final minute for the winner that takes them ten points clear at the top of Division One.

Steve McLaughin netted twice for Chemfica and Derek Murphy got the other in a 3-3 draw with Cramlington Town. Chris Laidlaw, Redmond Cockburn and Kev Long replied.


Goals from Michael Armstrong and Mark Sheeran for Division Two leaders Red House Farm were cancelled out by David Graham and Shaun Edwards strikes for second-placed Harton & Westoe CW.

Leigh Shickle took just two minutes to fire Wideopen ahead against Whickham Lang Jacks.

Graeme King equalised in the 23rd minute, but Andrew Shaw restored Wideopen’s advantage in the 35th.

Lee Laidler crashed a second leveller into the back of the net in the 76th minute.

First Division Newcastle Uni were taken all the way by Blyth Town Reserves in the NFA


NORTHUMBERLAND FA Minor Cup, the sides drawing 3-3 after extra-time and the Students just shading the thrilling penalty shoot-out 8-7.

The rest of the Northern Football Alliance programme was decimated as temperatures dipped overnight.

RESULTS: Saturday, January 14, 2012


Blyth Town 2 Walker Central 3

Gateshead Rutherford v Carlisle City pp

Harraby CC 5 Murton 1

Hebburn Reyrolle v Heaton Stannington pp

Percy Main Ams v Stocksfield pp

Shankhouse v Killingworth Sp pp


Amble United 1 Gosforth Bohs 0

Newcastle Chemfica Ind 3 Cramlington Town 3

Wallsend Town v Cullercoats pp


Cramlington United v Bedlington Terriers Res pp

Hexham v Wallsend Boys Club pp

New Fordley v Alston pp

North Shields Ath v Alnwick Town Res pp

Northbank v Swalwell pp

Red House Farm 2 Harton & Westoe 2

Seaton Burn v Willington Quay Saints pp

Wideopen 2 Whickham Lang Jacks 2


Ashington Colliers v Heddon pp


Newcastle Uni 3 Blyth Town Res 3 (AET Uni won 8-7 on pens)

Wallington v Morpeth Sports pp