Northern Football Alliance round-up


THERE was double cause for celebration at leaders Heaton Stannington on Saturday, writes Jon Tait.

Not only did they win a tricky-looking Northumberland FA Senior Benevolent Bowl tie against Whitley Bay A to advance into the semi-finals of the competition, but their closest rivals couldn’t pick up the points to knock them off top spot.

Ben Telford hit the opener after 15 minutes and Lee Johnson added number two in the 38th of a first half display that the Seahorses couldn’t deal with.

But the biggest cheer of the day came in the clubhouse afterwards when the news that second-placed Carlisle City had been held by Walker Central came through.


Steve Hurd shot Walker Central ahead when he took advantage of a poor clearance, but the Carlisle City took just three minutes to hit back as Stuart Kilgour headed home a Tom Lucock free-kick.

The Sky Blues were just the width of the woodwork from going into pole position though, as unlucky Luckock hit the crossbar on two separate occasions.

It had looked as if their Cumbrian neighbours Harraby CC were about to go top as they led 3-1 at half-time at Seaton Delaval – but a rollicking from Mick Jeffels and Tom Wade did the trick as the Red Devils staged a storming second-half comeback.

Mike Read scored in the opening second when he latched onto a poor backpass and added the second for the Cumbrians on the half-hour.

Danny McGuire tapped into an empty net to pull one back, but Darren Addison added a third straight from the restart.

Matthew Wade led the fightback with a free-kick, then Selsos Anjos tapped in a disputed leveller with the visitors’ defence stood arms raised claiming offside.

There was no disputing Reece Cairns’ winner, though, as he let fly with a bullet 30-yard strike into the top corner.

Ashington Colliers moved up to fourth as Jamie Patterson netted a last-gasp winner at Stocksfield. Chris Fairley had cancelled out David Brown’s opener, but the Griffins were undone in the dying seconds.

And deadly Sean Sweeney rattled in a hat-trick for Hebburn Reyrolle for the second week running in a 4-1 success at Gateshead Rutherford.

Channon North put Reyrolle ahead and Sweeney added the second soon after. It was a different story after the break as Graeme Trouten pulled one back to give them a scare, but Sweeney struck twice more on the break to seal it.

It finished goalless between Killingworth Sporting and Percy Main in a game battered by the wind and the bottom two both ended winless runs going back 10 games to record hard-fought victories.

Andy Upperton and Anthony Besford scored first-half goals for Murton in their 2-0 success over Blyth Town and Gavin Wood struck from the penalty-spot to put Ponteland United ahead at Shankhouse.

Goals in quick succession from Matty Robinson and Billy Holden mid-way through the second half completed a fine result.


Lee Garwood rattled in a hat-trick as Wallsend Town kept up the pressure on Amble United at the top of the division with a 4-0 success at Heddon. Chris Garwood got the other.

But it was Cullercoats who went goal crazy with a 9-1 demolition of Cramlington Town. Sean Smith and Graham Allen both grabbed doubles and Chris Anderson, Steven Hart, Gareth Armstrong, Dominic Gillespie and Jamie heaton completed the rout. Chris Johnson’s reply was scant consolation.

Matty Atkin was another hat-trick hero for Gosforth Bohemians in their 3-1 win at Forest Hall. Josh Gow replied for the basement side.


Hexham moved up into second spot in Division Two as goals from Thomas North and Mark Gibson gave them the three points at Willington Quay Saints, who had Gareth Pugh on target.

Dylan Williamson gave Bedlington Terriers Reserves the lead against Harton & Westoe and Robbie Eastway added a second from the penalty spot to clinch it and Matty Donkin’s double helped North Shields Athletic to a 3-1 win at Swalwell.

Matty Farrage got the other and Joe Johnson fired in for the Swifts.

David Gabbidus also scored twice in Wideopen’s 3-1 victory at New Fordley. Leigh Shickle added another to his personal tally while Ryan Carr banged in at the other end.

Whickham Lang Jacks hit bottom club Cramlington United for six. Jack Moulden and John Dewhurst led the way with a couple each and strikes from Graham King and Steven Spoors rounded things off.


Jordan Nellis had his eye on the matchball after hitting a treble in a 4-1 over Seaton Burn that put Wallington into the Northumberland FA Minor Cup semi-finals.

Ben Fenwick got the other and Mark Nixon was on target for the second Division side.

Newcastle Chemfica Independent joined them in the last four as they beat Alnwick Town Reserves 5-2 after extra-time.

Steve McLaughlin (2), Dean Cattermole, Derek Murphy-Collins and Craig Robinson were the Chemfica scorers with Nat Price and Brad McClelland netting for the black and whites.

RESULTS (Saturday, February 18, 2012)


Carlisle City 1 Walker Central 1

Gateshead Rutherford 1 Hebburn Reyrolle 4

Killingworth Sporting 0 Percy Main Ams 0

Murton 2 Blyth Town 0

Seaton Delaval Ams 4 Harraby CC 3

Shankhouse 0 Ponteland United 3

Stocksfield 1 Ashington Colliers 2


Cullercoats 9 Cramlington Town 1

Forest Hall 1 Bohemians 3

Heddon 0 Wallsend Town 4


Alston v Red House Farm pp

Bedlington Terriers Res 2 Harton & Westoe CW 0

New Fordley 1 Wideopen & District 3

Northbank v Wallsend Boys Club pp

Swalwell 1 North Shields Ath 3

Whickham Lang Jacks 6 Cramlington United 0

Willington Quay Saints 1 Hexham 2


Newcastle Chemfica 5 Alnwick Town Res 2 (aet)

Newcastle Uni 4 Kenton Bar Community 3

Wallington 4 Seaton Burn 1


Whitley Bay A 0 Heaton Stannington 2