Pegged back by late goal

Morpeth Town 2 Team Northumbria 2 Northern League, Division Two

MORPETH continued their unbeaten run but had to settle for a point after conceding a late equaliser.

The home side started the game on the attack and Keenan broke down the right and crossed to Dormand, whose header was saved under the crossbar by Jennison in the Team Northumbria goal.

But the visitors started to control the game through their short passing game.

Carrick, Davies and Cairns were dominating the midfield and on eight minutes the ball was played through to Riley on the right.

He drifted past three challenges before calmly placing the ball beyond Mundy into the bottom left-hand corner of the net to give the students a deserved lead.

Carrick continued to create openings for his forwards, with Mundy making three one-on-one saves from Riley, Watling and Scott.

In a rare Town attack, Anderson was played in down the left and his first-time cross was met by McAlpine, whose header thudded back off the crossbar with Jennison well beaten.

At half-time, Morpeth manager Nick Gray replaced Dormand with Howes and his direct play was to be rewarded. On 51 minutes, he beat Brookbank with ease and Bertram handled his cross.

Anderson stepped up and hammered the penalty into the top left corner of the net.

Having weathered everything Team Northumbria could throw at them in the first half, the Morpeth defence of Hiftle and Johnstone started to marshal the students forwards.

Wilson and Walmsley were seeing more of the ball and Fry, Keenan and Patrick were getting more possession in midfield as the away side started to tire.

The introduction of recent signings Cartwright and Wright, who joined the club from North Shields in midweek, saw Morpeth press forward in an attempt to take the lead.

With 15 minutes remaining, Fry linked up with Anderson and his pass inside the Team Northumbria defence was collected by Howes, who beat his man and drove the ball across Jennison into the bottom corner of the net to give Town the lead.

The visitors looked a spent force, but with the game deep into stoppage time, Riley found some space on the right, evaded a challenge and drove hard and low into the net to equalise.

Though disappointed to concede in the last minute, Morpeth put behind them a first half in which they were second best to take the game to the side who are second in the league and they are now unbeaten in eight league games.

In the last two matches, Gray’s side have picked up points against the top two clubs in the league and are well placed to move up the table.

P Gillan & Sons man-of-the-match: Steven Mundy.

Morpeth take on Birtley Town at Craik Park on Saturday. Kick-off is 3pm.