Pier leave Chevington high and dry

Morpeth Sunday League Round-up

THE George Cave Memorial Cup final was the showpiece game of the weekend with East Chevington facing up to Amble Pier 81.

The Chevington lads will have been confident going into the game as the two league meetings this season had seen the Tute win one and draw the other, but this was a day that the Chevington lads will want to forget as Amble put on a masterclass of attacking free-flowing football to win the trophy by a huge margin.

Amble were gifted a dream start after only 90 seconds as an aimless cross into the box was volleyed home by a Chevington defender for an own goal, and just six minutes later it was 2-0 as a corner fell to Ross Stewart and he made no mistake from eight yards.

Amble pressed for the rest of the half but could not find another goal, and the game was still close at half-time.

In the second half the Pier were relentless as they poured forward and gave the poor Tute a footballing lesson, great inter-play saw Sean Taylor make it 3-0 with a neat finish, and moments later another passing move saw Josh Hay stroke home number four from close range.

Taylor then made it 5-0 with his second and sub Darren Riddell bagged two goals in quick succession to make it 7-0, young Calvin Flannigan finished off another great team goal with number eight late on and skipper Mark Hume made the final score 9-0 with a penalty two minutes from time.

It was hard to pick an outstanding performance as this was as good a team performance as the Morpeth Sunday League had witnessed in a final for decades but Sean Taylor was deservedly voted man of the match to cap a day his team mates will never forget.

Pegswood Ex moved a step closer to the Division One title with a hard fought 3-2 win away to Red Row Brick Club who had Paul Dewson and Craig Keen on the score sheet but goals from Ashley McAlpine, Wyn Fremlin and Stu Marshall saw them preserve their 100 per cent league record.

Choppington Travellers Rest leapfrogged Bedlington Station Railway into second place as they won 6-3 away to the Railway in an action packed affair that saw missed penalties, red cards and two hat-tricks, Josie Bolam scored all three of his side’s goals but Si Cunningham with his own treble and solo strikes from Callum Herimston, Scott Murray and Damien Mullen saw the Travs move above the hosts on goal difference.

Woodhorn Lane’s grip on the title looks over as they slumped to a 3-2 home defeat against Stobswood Welfare, Chris Moffitt and Andy Spratt scored for the Lane but Ant Wade, Simon Scott and Kevin Bell won it for the visitors.

Division Two leaders Bedlington Barrington Arms were held 1-1 away to Sporting Club who had veteran Chris Turner scoring a rare goal, Nick Lees got the Barrington goal. They could have won it with a last-minute penalty, but the Sporting keeper made a fine save to earn his side a point.

Ashington Hirst Industrial’s 10-game unbeaten streak came to an end as they lost 2-1 at home to promotion rivals Village Inn, Mark Taylor for the home side, Alex Slack and Nathan Williamson won it for the visitors.

Felton’s seasons has gone into free-fall as they were once again hammered on the road to Amble Dock Hotel, who had doubles from Stu Elliott and David Smith plus efforts from Wayne Gair, Dane Dawson and Brad Simpson to thank for a 7-1 win, Scott McMullen with Felton’s consolation.

Ellington kept up the pressure in the race for promotion as they won 2-1 at Morpeth Chantry thanks to goals from Richard Packard and Dean Short, Liam Marshall for the hosts.

Newbiggin Bankhouse had a fine 5-2 win at home to Alnmouth Argyle, Tony Messenger grabbed two the others from Ross Adams, Steve Maxwell and Mark Burgess, Brett Rodgerson got both the Alnmouth goals.