Point for Morpeth in fiery draw

MATLOCK 1MORPETH TOWN 1A long trip to Derbyshire on a cold Tuesday night saw Morpeth take a point back from their trip to Matlock. It was an entertaining game that could have been won by Morpeth who created late chances and dominated for long periods of the game.

Wednesday, 4th March 2020, 8:53 am
Updated Wednesday, 4th March 2020, 8:53 am
Action from Matlock v Morpeth.
Action from Matlock v Morpeth.

Marcus Marshall opened the scoring for the hosts before a late leveller from Ryan Hutchinson ensured a share of the spoils. However, this doesn’t tell the whole story as both sides finished the game with 10 men. Spencer Harris was sent off in the first half for trying to headbutt Carl Finnigan before Stephen Turnbull saw red for a lunge on Jude Oyibo.

The game didn’t exactly burst into life with both teams registering only one shot over in the opening ten minutes.

Liam Henderson also headed over before Alex Byrne had a shot crash off the crossbar at the other end.

The biggest talking point of the game arrived on 44 minutes when Matlock were reduced to 10 men, Harris receiving his marching orders after attempting to headbutt Finnigan.

The hosts started the second half in the ascendancy as Marshall hit the woodwork. Morpeth responded when Finnigan was denied by a superb save from Trenerry.

The Gladiators opened the scoring on 53 minutes as Marshall took advantage of some poor defending to put the 10 men ahead.

The game was levelled at least in terms of the number of players as Turnbull was shown a straight red card for lunging in on Oyibo.

Trenerry made two stunning stops to deny Morpeth an equaliser as firstly, Stephen Forster angled a drive that took a heavy deflection before denying Finnigan from a corner.

Former Belper Town player Pitou Crouz nearly doubled the lead for the home side on 77 minutes but he dragged his effort wide, but Morpeth deservedly levelled on 79 minutes when Ryan Hutchinson netted his first goal for the club as he converted from a corner.

Morpeth had two late chances to net a winner but in the end had to settle for a point.