Ponteland hit for six by rampant Shilbottle

After the emphatic opening day win, Ponteland United travelled to Shilbottle in confident mood for their midweek encounter.

Manager McIvor made two enforced changes with Billy Holden starting for the injured Darwent and Paul Hodgson for Stephen Satterthwaite.

Shilbottle were quickly out of the blocks and took the lead after only eight minutes.

Hodgson failed to clear a corner and Josh Hay stooped low to head the ball through a crowded goalmouth into the net.

Five minutes later L’Argent, under pressure, handled the ball just outside the area in a central position and with a well worked free kick Ryan Douglas side-footed past the defensive wall into the bottom corner.

Shell-shocked United were all at sea as L’Argent cleared for a corner and Bowey-Tyler had to tip the ball over the bar.

It was 25 minutes before Pont produced their first real attack when good play between L’Argent and Zac Bewley ended with Ryan Potts breaking down the right only for his cross to be too close to keeper Sean Straker.

Then it all happened on the half hour mark. Hodgson found Potts again down the right and this time he pulled the ball back to Ethan Bewley whose shot was handled in the box.

Bewley took the spot kick himself but it was saved by keeper Straker, and as he attempted to get to the ball he was pulled back for another penalty. This time Holden took the kick but again Straker saved.

To make matters worse for Pont, Shilbottle cleared immediately up field to Liam Brooks who got the better of the defence and turned to volley over Bowey-Tyler.

Brooks tested the keeper again before half-time but this time Bowey-Tyler was equal to it and pushed the ball over the bar.

Half-time came and rather than going in 2-1 down, United faced a moutain to climb with a three-goal deficit.

McIvor made two changes at the interval, bringing on Hibbitt and Graham for Scott and Ethan Bewley in an attempt to get a reaction from his stunned team.

The response came and after only three minutes of the second period Zac Bewley pulled one back.

At long last the visitors played some better football, but on 53 minutes they went further behind as they failed to deal with a corner and Hay unchallenged headed home.

United’s spirits dropped and frustrations came to the fore as Potts, Hibbitt and Hodgson all received yellow cards.

Further goals in the 60th and 70th minutes from Hay and Brooks produced an emphatic victory for the home side.