Relief at the final whistle

Share this article

Morpeth Town 3 Washington 2 Northern League, Division Two

MORPETH made hard work of it after missing two penalties, but still achieved a deserved victory at home to Washington on Tuesday night.

The home side pressed for the opening goal, but it was the visitors who took the lead after 25 minutes with a scrambled effort.

Town responded in first-half injury-time when Cameron Patrick’s shot from the edge of the box fizzed into the net.

They had a great chance to go 2-1 in front ten minutes into the second-half when they were awarded a penalty, however Stephen Mills missed the spot-kick.

But Mills made amends just a few minutes later when he ran through the Washington defence and cooly finished past the keeper to score his fourth goal of the season.

What turned out to be the crucial strike happened midway through the half when Patrick continued his impressive scoring form with another goal from outside the box.

Unfortunately, he could not get his hat-trick when Morpeth were awarded their second penalty of the match on 75 minutes.

The centre midfielder blazed his shot well over the bar.

Town fans were given a nervous last 10 minutes when the away side pulled a goal back. A mix-up in the home defence gave a Washington player an easy tap-in.

But the Craik Park side comfortably held on for the win.

Assistant Manager Lawrence Appleby said: “Washington didn’t create too many chances and we deserved to win, but after the penalty misses it was a feeling of relief when the full-time whistle blew.

“Cameron Patrick performed really well. He is our captain and he’s leading the midfield charge with some excellent goals.

“Next season, we need to build on the last couple of months where we’ve achieved a few wins. We will re-shape the squad in the summer and look to have a much better campaign – we can’t have another season like this.”

On Saturday, Morpeth lost 5-1 at home to high-flying Guisborough Town.

Mills put the home side in front, but the visitors quickly levelled with a decent 25-yard strike by Tom Portas.

David Onions made it 2-1 to the Priorymen before half-time, and then he added another in the second-half.

Mikey Roberts and Chris I’Anson added further goals to seal victory for the second-placed side.

• Morpeth’s last two games of the season are as follows: Northallerton Town away on Saturday, kick-off 3pm, and Birtley Town at home on Tuesday night, kick-off 7.30pm.

• Training sessions for junior players (aged 10 to 16) are currently taking place at Craik Park on Monday, Wednesday and Friday evenings.

For more information, contact Mr Appleby on 07526 283824.