The Greens are humbled by lowly Hebburn

Hebburn Reyrolle 4 Wallington 1 Northern Alliance, Premier Division

WALLINGTON slumped to their first league defeat in five as they were humbled by basement side Hebburn Reyrolle on Saturday, writes Kyle Reardon.

Dan Thompson’s delicious equaliser after 15 minutes revived The Greens after a slow start, but their failure to convert a number of further first-half opportunities would ultimately prove costly.

Complacency had been warned against from the offset, but there had barely been five touches of a Green shirt before the hosts took the lead with a 25-yard strike.

And before Wallington even had a chance to respond, they were almost two down when an over-hit cross just evaded a lurking striker at the back post.

This prompted a response from the visitors, who found a gap to slide through Jordan Nellis.

Taking his touch away from the last defender, the striker was cynically tripped as he entered the box, but for the second week in a row, the man in the middle decided against a red card. Ben Fenwick took the resulting free-kick, which was clawed acrobatically round the post.

The Greens were awake now and Thompson struck a tester straight at the keeper before executing for real.

Tenacious play from Nellis got him past a host of challenges and his lay-off to Sam Walton was helped onto Thompson. Bearing down on goal, he took aim and lofted an inch-perfect shot over the stranded goalkeeper to bring the sides level once again. The striker then almost turned provider when his through-ball found Kyle Reardon, but his shot was blocked, as was Swalton’s when teed up by Reardon.

The wing-back was in the thick of the action again when he just failed to connect with Alex Slack’s left-wing cross.

The best chance though fell to Jack Palmer whose marauding run and cross bounced inches past the post, just beyond Justin Millican’s reach.

These were chances that they would live to regret in the second period as a revitalised opponent punished the labouring Greens.

Defensive errors left Chris Woods exposed twice and two excellent finishes put the hosts in a commanding position.

Slack missed a great opportunity to reduce the arrears before things took a turn for the worse when Nellis received his second yellow card in the space of ten minutes for a late challenge on the goalkeeper.

A late flurry saw Slack pull the ball back for Swalton, but the usually reliable number 11 fired high and handsomely over the bar to sum up a dismal second-half display.

And the unforgiving hosts compounded the misery when another long-range effort flew over Woods for an unflattering 4-1 scoreline.