Tipped out from the Vase

Esh Winning 5 Morpeth Town 2 FA Vase, First Qualifying Round

ESH Winning gained revenge against Morpeth after losing to the Northumberland side in the league last Saturday.

Away manager Nick Gray recalled club captain David Hiftle, David Dormand and Steven Anderson to his starting line-up.

The home side took the game to Morpeth from the kick-off.

Coates raced clear down the left and when his cross picked out Ward at the far post, Mundy pulled off a fine diving save.

Minutes later, Ward again went close as Coates bent in a 25-yard free-kick to the near-post and his header just cleared the bar.

The physical presence of Ward was proving to be a problem for the Morpeth defence and when he ran onto a long through-ball from Graver, Cairns just managed to divert his shot wide for a corner.

On 15 minutes, Esh centre-back Newby headed over when well placed.

In Morpeth’s first attack of any note, Anderson shrugged off a challenge in midfield and tore down the right-wing.

His cross was met by Dines and Newby cleared for a corner.

After a shaky start, the visitors were starting to play their way into the game.

A great move involving Walmsley, Patrick, Dines and Anderson worked the ball to Hall. He drove into the heart of the Esh box and his shot grazed the outside of the post.

The first goal of the game came on 35 minutes and it was the hosts who got it as Graver delivered a deep cross to the far post and Megran diverted the ball past Mundy (0-1).

Town responded immediately and Patrick’s fierce drive just cleared the bar.

Two minutes before the break, Esh Winning increased their lead. Coates swung the ball in from the left and Ward scored from close range (0-2).

Morpeth kicked off the second half with Fry replacing Dines in midfield. However, it was Esh who were first on the attack.

Mickle collected a through-ball, side stepped the advancing Mundy and rolled the ball into the net to make it 3-0.

From the re-start, Fry and McAlpine linked up and, under pressure from two defenders, McAlpine was able to bundle the ball into the net to reduce the arrears (3-1).

Morpeth were starting to have more of the play. Hall won the ball on halfway and released Patrick, who shot narrowly over the bar from 20 yards.

However, it was Esh who were to score the next goal. Ward shrugged off a challenge, burst into the box and beat Mundy from 15 yards to make it 4-1.

The goal of the game came on 65 minutes as Town pulled one back.

Anderson broke from his own half down the right, cut inside and calmly bent the ball round the despairing dive of Johnson in the Esh goal to score from 30 yards out (4-2).

The away side pressed for another goal and committed more and more men forward, but this just created the space at the back for Jury to complete the scoring and make it 5-2 to Esh Winning.

In the final minute, Dormand’s persistence saw him break free on the left but his shot crashed back into play off the crossbar and Morpeth were out of the FA Vase.

• Forthcoming Morpeth Town events at Craik Park include a car boot sale on Sunday, October 2.

Cars (£5) and vans (£8) can set up from 8am and buyers will be allowed in from 10am. Entry is £1 for adults and free for children. Refreshments will be available.

A Race Night in conjunction with the Children’s Foundation will take place on Saturday, October 8 – starting at 7.30pm.

Those attending can sponsor a race for £30. Alternatively, buy a horse or be an owner or jockey for £2.

Winning horses, jockeys and owners will win a bottle.

Race sponsors will receive 10 tickets to either Brough Park or Sunderland Dogs. There will also be a raffle on the night.

For more information on either event, e-mail Morpeth Town Secretary David McMeekan – drmcmeekan@yahoo.co.uk