Town collect the points

Share this article

Morpeth Town 3 Chester-le-Street 2 STL Northern League Division Two

MORPETH welcomed an improving Chester-le-Street side to Craik Park.

The visitors travelled north on the back of a fine 4-0 victory over Hebburn Town last week.

Morpeth started the game strongly, dominating play in midfield.

Hall, Grant and Fry kept possession with skill and intelligence, constantly probing for an opening goal.

On 15 minutes, Fry and Grant linked up to play in Dormand on the left.

His cross found Anderson 20 yards out and his shot flashed just wide of the far post with Rookes in the Chester goal stranded.

Dormand was next to show, running on to an incisive pass from centre-back Johnstone and Rookes dived full length across his goal to make the save.

On the half-hour, Grant broke through the middle and Chapman did well to clear the ball off the goal-line. Grant again forced his way forward and unleashed a venomous shot that cannoned back into play off the right-hand post.

As the half came to a close, Morpeth laid siege to the Chester goal, forcing corner after corner and Johnstone was denied by a last-gasp goal-line clearance by Wardle.

Morpeth started the second half like the first, on the attack.

The strong-running Anderson was a constant threat and he played the ball back to Henderson who fired the ball into the box where Dormand rose at the far-post to flash a header just wide of the post.

In Chester-le-Street’s first meaningful attack, Coghlan bent in a corner from the right which was met by Swanson and Mundy parried his powerful close-range header over the bar.

From the resulting corner, the ball fell to Wardle who bundled the ball home from close range to give Chester-le-Street the lead (0-1).

The response from Morpeth was immediate. Henderson played in the overlapping Robinson, whose cross-shot was deflected wide for a corner.

Johnstone powered a header towards goal and Rookes could only parry the ball across the goal-line, where Hiftle was on hand to slide the ball home for the equaliser (1-1).

From the restart, Morpeth regained possession and Cartwright gained a corner on the left. Anderson’s accurate dead ball was met by Hall who powered the ball into the net from 10 yards (2-1).

Buoyed by this goal, Morpeth again went at the Chester defence and gained a free-kick 25 yards out. Robinson stepped up and smashed the free-kick through the wall to make it 3-1.

On 70 minutes, Coghhlan found some space in the centre of the field and his through-ball split the home defence. Swanson was onto it in a flash and slid the ball under Mundy to make it 3-2.

Manager Nick Gray introduced some fresh legs in the form of McAlpine, Patrick and Andrews and their selfless running nullified any further threat from Chester-le-Street as a composed Morpeth played out time to earn another fully-deserved three points.

Next match at Craik Park, Morpeth Town v Ryton and Crawcrook Albion, December 3, kick-off 3pm.

Morpeth Town: Mundy, Henderson, Robinson,, Grant Johnstone, Hiftle, Hall, (McAlpine), Cartwright, (Patrick) Anderson, Dormand, (Andrews), Fry. P Gillan & Sons man-of-the-match: Marc Grant.