Town gain revenge for league loss

Penrith 1 Morpeth Town 2 FA Carlsberg Vase, Round One

MORPETH put in an excellent team performance to progress to the second round of the Vase.

Facing a side who earlier in the season had thumped the Highway Men 6-1 at Craik Park, Town manager Nick Gray re-introduced Swanston to the starting line-up after a long lay-off through injury.

In a competitive first half, the visitors started to dominate play in midfield, with the selfless running of Swanston posing a constant threat to the home defence.

The first chance of the game came on 20 minutes when Chilton burst through the middle and as he approached the Penrith penalty area he was upended by home goalie Jaimison.

Chilton expertly bent the resulting free-kick round the wall but it just cleared the crossbar.

The Highway Men continued to dominate play in the second half, but resolute defending kept them out until the 86th minute.

Fry threaded the ball through to substitute Keenan, who took a touch and drove the ball home from the edge of the box. This setback proved too much for Jaimison and he received a red card for dissent.

As the game entered injury-time, right-winger Forster collected a long through-ball from Henderson, beat his man on the line and picked out the predatory Chilton, who made no mistake from eight yards.

A minute later, Paul bundled home a corner from close range for Penrith, but Town were not to be denied an excellent victory.

Their reward is a second round trip to North East Counties League Division One side Cleethorpes Town on November 16.

Morpeth team: Mundy, Henderson, Robinson, Grant, Hall, Hiftle, Forster (Hutchinson), Fry, Swanston (Keenan), Chilton, Patterson (Walmsley). techflow Qatar man-of-the-match: Scott Swanston.

LAST midweek, Morpeth did well to come from behind and take away a point in their match against Guisborough Town.

The hosts took the lead when Roberts converted a cross from the right and Johnstone made it 2-0 after 24 minutes when he kept his composure to round Mundy and slot the ball home.

The Highway Men pulled a goal back before half-time when Chilton headed home Taylor’s pin-point cross and they equalised on 60 minutes when Forster latched on to a Chilton flick-on and showed great technique to fire the ball past the keeper.

A few minutes later, Hall was shown a red card after picking up his second booking, but Morpeth held on for a well-earned draw.