Town’s 10 take points

Whitehaven 1 Morpeth Town 2 Northern League, Division Two

A GOOD team performance saw Morpeth chalk up back-to-back league victories.

Playing into a strong crosswind, the visitors opened the scoring on three minutes as Patrick forced the ball home from close range after a fine flowing move.

Hall won the ball on the edge of his own box and advanced upfield. He laid the ball off to Grant who hit a pin-point 30-yard diagonal pass to Wilson on the right-wing.

He raced to the by-line and crossed to Dormand and he flicked the ball on to Patrick, who scored with ease.

Town started to dominate play in midfield and, on 10 minutes, Dormand narrowly failed to increase the lead as his shot from the edge of the box just drifted wide.

With the strong wind at their backs, Whitehaven started to press forward and pin Morpeth in their own half.

Holliday outpaced the away defence on the left and crossed to Connelly, whose shot was bravely saved by Mundy at the second attempt.

The impressive Connelly made some space for himself on the edge of the box and his goalbound effort was tipped over the bar by Mundy.

On 30 minutes, after a period of sustained pressure, the equaliser came. Dunn shot against the far-post and was first to react, forcing the rebound home from three yards.

As the game entered first-half stoppage time, a long clearance from Mundy outwitted the home defence.

Dormand raced clear on goal but his first-time effort from the edge of the box went inches wide of the post with Pettit in the home goal stranded.

At the start of the second half, Anderson was involved in tussle with a home defender and harshly received his second yellow card.

Morpeth responded to this setback by going on the attack and scoring what turned out to be the winning goal, as, after a goalmouth scramble, Walmsley forced the ball home.

Down to ten men, Town kept their composure and comfortably played out time to pick up another three points.

The result moves Morpeth up to tenth place in the Division Two table.

Chester-le-Street 3 Morpeth Town 2

E Armstrong Memorial Cup, Round One

MORPETH played their part in an entertaining cup match on Tuesday evening, but ultimately fell to an extra-time defeat.

The game finished 2-2 after 90 minutes, with Fenwick and Walmsley scoring for the visitors. The home side’s goals came from a Hall own-goal and Patton.

Both teams had chances in the extra 30 minutes, however it was Chester-le-Street who went through to Round Two with a strike from Johnson.