United dump Celtic out of the cup

West Allotment Celtic A 1 Ponteland United 4 NFA Ideal Stelrad Minor Cup

UNITED faced a tricky trip to Whitley Bay against lower-league opponents West Allotment Celtic A in the third round of the Minor Cup.

With Dan Wright failing a late fitness test, Ryan Potts started with Liam Anderson moving infield to join Craig Cook upfront.

Davidson had an early chance for Pont when he turned well in the box but his shot was well saved by the keeper, with Cook just failing to prod the rebound home.

Celtic produced a flowing move which ended dismally with their right wingman slicing his shot high and wide.

On the quarter-hour mark Jones rushed forward from defence with the ball before finding Anderson.

The in-form forward turned and played a ball into the feet of Cook, who, as he turned, was too strong for the teenage defender and scored in the bottom corner (0-1).

Three minutes later, in a similar move, Cook received the ball from Potts before shooting past the keeper at the second attempt (0-2).

On 20 minutes, United should have been home and dry when Davidson’s cross found Anderson in front of goal for a tap-in, but somehow he failed to connect.

The miss could have proved costly for United when they lost the ball in midfield and were exposed to the counter-attack.

A ball from the right found Sean Allen at the back post and he finished well with a side-footed volley (1-2).

Again United looked dangerous going forward and another good cross from Davidson missed out Anderson and found Cook who controlled and volleyed in one movement, but over the bar.

A goal by Davidson five minutes into the second half, following excellent work by the industrious Rae, put Pont well in control (1-3).

When Anderson shot home a fourth with half-an-hour to go, the vistory was in the bag for Ponteland (1-4).

Further goals looked inevitable, but it wasn’t to be.

Allotment had an opportunity to pull one back but Scott and Jones, supported by Potts and Peacock, were too strong a unit.

L’Argent and Hibbitt came on for Rae and Hodgson for the last 25 minutes and fully participated to ensure Pont had a safe passage through to the quarter-finals.

On an adjoining pitch, United’s Reserves ended a disappointing run with a convincing win over Tynemouth which wasn’t reflected in the 1-0 scoreline, with the solitary goal from Garreth Brack.