United up for the cup with win over Killingworth

Ponts Andrew Davison has a shot at the goal
Ponts Andrew Davison has a shot at the goal



Ponteland United were in the cup again this week entertaining Durham Alliance Combination League team Killingwoth YPC in the First Round of the Ideal Stelrad NFA Minor Cup.

With both Scott and Holden suspended Chris Garwood and Ryan Potts returned to the starting 11 after being unavailable last week.

In form United started well spraying the ball around the pitch and creating chances. Both the Bewley brothers had early shots blocked for corners and Potts overlapping down the right forced a fourth corner on 10 minutes.

Davidson was whipping in some good corners but the final finish just wasn’t happening. After some neat build up play Havelock-Brown tried his luck from just outside the area but his shot too was deflected for yet another corner.

Davidson swung in this corner which was headed behind for corner number six which Zac Bewley took from the other side. This time Garwood got a clean head on the ball but it went over the bar. With Garwood and Ford dominant at the back United were in control in the first half but couldn’t capitalise from the amount of possession they enjoyed and the number of corners they forced.

The breakthrough came five minutes before half-time and it was Ethan Bewley who had worked tirelessly throughout who scored finishing a fine run and cross by Potts after receiving a through ball from Havelock-Brown. Bewley nearly got his second moments later but shot wide from a good position.

We hadn’t seen too much of Killingworth going forward but Anthony Burns forced a fine save from Bowey-Tyler pushing the ball away for a corner. From the corner the keeper punched clear under pressure. Garwood then showed good vision playing a ball out wide to Davidson whose shot was parried by keeper Dean Aveary for yet another corner as the half came to a close. From the corner Garwood earned his reward heading past Aveary to give his team a deserved lead at the interval.

At the start of the second half with rain falling again Potts who was playing well on his return after injury played a super cross from the right into the path of Cook but with the goal at his mercy he glanced his header ball wide of the goal. On 48 minutes Ethan Bewley received the ball in midfield and rolled it across to Davidson who picked his spot just inside the far upright.

The heavens then opened but that didn’t interrupt the fine football being displayed by Ponteland and enjoyed by the spectators who weren’t deterred by the weather. Bowey-Tyler saved well from a corner to remind his colleagues that the game wasn’t over although one couldn’t see the visitors overcoming a three goal deficit. On 65 minutes United made it four with quality control and finish from Ethan Bewley running onto Havelock-Brown’s cross.

With the game won substitute Murtagh replaced Zac Bewley and Paul Jones came on for his first appearance of the season.

As the game entered the last 15 minutes Killingworth were somewhat unfortunate to lose their keeper when he was dismissed for an alleged two footed challenge to deny Cook going past him on the edge of the penalty area near the touch line. United continued to press but were denied by the deputy keeper until Cook wrapped thing up with five minutes remaining.