United win through to League Cup semi’s

Match report
Match report



United returned to cup action today in the quarter final of the Bay Plastics George Dobbins League Cup away to Division Two promotion chasing opponents Seaton Burn.

The hosts started well , but United went ahead after only five minutes. Ethan Bewley played a cross field ball to Benjamin who controlled it well and cut into the penalty area when he was brought down for a penalty. The striker picked himself up before thumping the ball from the spot into the bottom corner.

Three minutes later a good move found Cook out on the right and he cut the ball back to Havelock-Brown whose shot went wide of the post.

At the other end David Hewitt tried his luck from distance but the firmly driven shot was straight at Bowey-Tyler who saved comfortably.

On 15 minutes Jones and Ethan Bewley linked well down the right before Bewley cut inside and was brought down just outside the penalty area. From the free kick McIvor hit the crossbar.

The hosts had been the better side in the first 15 minutes but United were now starting to get into their rhythm.

Benjamin found Zac Bewley free down the left but as he headed towards goal he was stopped by a good well timed challenge from Anthony Madgewick.

On the half hour mark Havelock-Brown flicked the ball over the defence into the path of Zac Bewley who took it in his stride before checking back and floating the ball into the far top corner to double Pont’s lead.

Bewley was causing all sorts of problems which was starting to frustrate a few Seaton Burn players. On 35 minutes Bewley again went down the left before floating the ball across to the back post for Benjamin to head home to put Pont firmly in control at 0-3.

It got worse for Seaton Burn when just as they won a free kick striker Aldair Batista flicked out a hand catching Bewley in the face as he ran past causing the linesman to signal to the referee who somewhat harshly sent him off for raising his hands.

There was still time for Zac Bewley to fire a shot over the bar after good play by the hardworking Cook out on the right.

The second half would be an uphill task for Seaton Burn chasing a three goal deficit with ten men. Almost from the kick off Pont’s Hibbitt intercepted a pass and played Cook through on goal but the striker shot over the bar.

Not to be outdone McCallum had a decent chance at the other end and was through on goal but pulled his shot wide of the post.

With a player advantage Ponteland were making use of the additional space and from a cut-back Benjamin struck a fierce shot which was blocked by some stout defending by Seaton’s rearguard.

United were firmly in control but their job was made even easier when the referee brought out his red card for the second time in the match. Seaton Burn’s McCallum received his marching orders after making a reckless and unnecessary challenge on McIvor.

The fact that the score line remained unchanged was down to Seaton Burn’s keeper Stephen Baker who made several saves near the end.